SD42212T-HN have onboard microphone?

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to determine if the SD42212T-HN has an onboard microphone to pick up sound or if I need to add a mic. I'm picking up sound and can hear the gears when moving the ptz but can't hear any other sounds.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought the 24v to 12v adapter... how do I wire the mic and power up to my ptz?

PTZ Wiring harness
Power ( Red AC24v, Black AC24v, Yellow/Green Ground) - I connected red and yellow/green to 24v to 12v adapter
Audio ( Red Audio out, White Audio in, Black Audio ground) - I connected White and Black to RCA adapter

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same setup here with a different PTZ
I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

24v-> 12V Power adapter-> to the red RCA jack on the microphone (mic is now powered)

If your power adapter doesn't have an RCA connector, get some of these, or solder it.
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs Phono RCA Male Plug to AV Screw Terminal Plug Connector: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs UTP Cat5/Cat6 Cable to AV RCA Female Screw Terminal Connector: Home Audio & Theater
or these will work, just a different connector:
inShareplus 5 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Power 12V Male to Female DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com
makes it easy.

White Audio In to middle post of RCA jack(+), and Black Audio Ground to barrel (-)

Enable audio in the device setup.

SD

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same setup here with a different PTZ
I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

24v-> 12V Power adapter-> to the red RCA jack on the microphone (mic is now powered)

If your power adapter doesn't have an RCA connector, get some of these, or solder it.
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs Phono RCA Male Plug to AV Screw Terminal Plug Connector: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Bluecell 10pcs UTP Cat5/Cat6 Cable to AV RCA Female Screw Terminal Connector: Home Audio & Theater
or these will work, just a different connector:
inShareplus 5 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Power 12V Male to Female DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com
makes it easy.

White Audio In to middle post of RCA jack(+), and Black Audio Ground to barrel (-)

Enable audio in the device setup.

SD
Figured out the audio but how do I utilize the power connections available from the PTZ to my 24v to 12v adapter?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need a picture. The power brick for my PTZ camera is AC, so I cannot use it to power the mic. It needs 12v/dc.

How are you powering your camera, with the brick or POE?

SD

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera is getting power via POE. In my links above I'm trying to figure out how to properly wire my 24v to 12v adapter to the spare 24v wires coming off the camera wiring harness separate from the Poe connection. Is it even possible to utilize these spare 24v wires or not to power the mic. On the wiring harness there is an unused 24v red wire, 24v black wire, and yellow/green ground wire.

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those are 24V AC input wires to power the camera from a power brick.

The mic needs 12V DC. You would need to hook a multimeter to the wires when it's powered by POE to see if outputs 24v AC, but you would need to convert it with this.

Amazon.com: Power Converter 24V AC to 12V DC Max 1.5A Output: Home Audio & Theater

Just use a POE splitter if the wires are not outputting the 24V AC. One in to the camera, the other in to your 24-12V adapter, then to your microphone.

SD

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if I get this... one end just plugs into my Ethernet cable get POE and then the other to my camera and the other to the mic? So the TTnight Power Converter AC 24V to DC 12V 3A Adapter for CCTV Security Camera I bought we no longer be needed with this setup?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@tomas21 , This is one way to do it. You don't need the splitter since you have the converter.

Here is a diagram as a pic is worth 1000 words.

Bullet_Mic_Power_Layout.jpg

The mic comes with the RCA plug that will just attach to the 24->12V converter.

Mic_and_Attachments.jpg

SD

Last edited:

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SD - I am actually not using the AC adapter that cam with my PTZ. the PTZ is getting power from the POE switch it is connected to via cat5 cable. So if the cat5 cable is my only power source in the attic for the ptz how can I get that to power the mic?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is one way

If you ONLY want to use the POE ports from the NVR/Switch and cannot supply 24V to the camera, or 12V to the microphone, you will need two pieces of hardware.

Amazon.com : OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (power-in) to IEEE802.3af (power-out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Active 12V PoE Splitter Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant 36-54V Input 10/100Mbps, 12V Output: Computers & Accessories

View attachment 16352

I just used an inexpensive 12V power supply and ran CAT 5 cable for the mic power. It may or may not suit your solution.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SD - I am actually not using the AC adapter that cam with my PTZ. the PTZ is getting power from the POE switch it is connected to via cat5 cable. So if the cat5 cable is my only power source in the attic for the ptz how can I get that to power the mic?
@tomas21, I have to update this as I don't want to spread misinformation. As there are many ways to get power to the mic, my above example would work, but is redundant and not necessary.

You can eliminate the POE extender as the active splitter above passes POE power thru and out the data cable to the PTZ camera, and steps down the 48V to 12v and sends that to the 5.5mm connector.

Here is a new link to one in stock and available on Amazon.

Amazon.com: iCreatin Active 12V PoE power over ethernet Splitter Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant 10/100Mbps, 12V output: Computers & Accessories

Sorry if I created any confusion.

Ryan's thread here is extremely informative:
How-To: Audio Inputs

SD

Mic Wiring POE.jpg

Last edited:

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have to ground the audio cable. I get the red and white but never seen audio ground. Where do u wire that one?