SD49225T-HN won't switch out of night mode when set to auto...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very recently my subject camera remains in B&W mode during the day. I have the schedule on the camera GUI set to normal.

The exposure settings are set to outdoor/auto. And the night/day settings are set to auto.

For some reason, despite the full brightness of the mid-day sun, the camera seems to think there's not enough ambient light.

I can force it into color/day mode by switching it from auto to color, but that's quite impractical.

I have tried resetting the camera back to default (setup/system/default/default) but after restarting, my password remains - so I'm not sure that is the correct way to do a true factory reset.

The face of the camera is clean

upload_2019-1-22_15-55-44.png

My software version is:

upload_2019-1-22_15-55-59.png

upload_2019-1-22_15-56-19.png
upload_2019-1-22_15-56-33.png

I've sent an email to Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY ) and hope there's a simple solution.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got the same problem since a few weeks, firmware update and factory reset doesn’t change anything. So I assume that the light sensor may be defective. It’s a pity for a cam running about 500 days. I didn’t contact Andy for that case because you get only one year warranty iirc.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Got the same problem since a few weeks, firmware update and factory reset doesn’t change anything. So I assume that the light sensor may be defective. It’s a pity for a cam running about 500 days. I didn’t contact Andy for that case because you get only one year warranty iirc.
Bummer. That's not the reply I was hoping for. I had 450 days on mine. I think the warranty may be longer - at least it is with the smaller eyeball cameras. I had one that I thought was going bad (it was ultimately a bad cable) and I was weeks away from the 1 yr purchase anniversary. IIRC, Andy said it was 2 years. But that may only apply to the non-PTZ.

I'm hoping it's a simple fix, and I certainly wouldn't want to ship this thing back to China.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bummer. That's not the reply I was hoping for. I had 450 days on mine. I think the warranty may be longer - at least it is with the smaller eyeball cameras. I had one that I thought was going bad (it was ultimately a bad cable) and I was weeks away from the 1 yr purchase anniversary. IIRC, Andy said it was 2 years. But that may only apply to the non-PTZ.

I'm hoping it's a simple fix, and I certainly wouldn't want to ship this thing back to China.
In the interim you can use bp2008's dahua sunrise sunset tool to change it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
In the interim you can use bp2008's dahua sunrise sunset tool to change it.
After going a couple of rounds with Andy on a solution, I've opted to use the bp2008's tool... Works great.

For the record, Andy says that Dahua wants the camera shipped back to them to determine what is wrong. I asked for parts that I could change out myself, but apparently, Dahua doesn't do that. So, unless I'm willing to ship this thing back (presumably back to China), I think I'll just live with the script/service tool.

Andy did suggest that I do a hardware reset. The camera is about 25' up on a utility pole, about 1000' from the house - making access for a lazy slob like me, very unappealing. Especially since @Crazykiller apparently attempted this with no success.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
[QUOTE="erkme73, post: 330982, member: 2054”]
Andy did suggest that I do a hardware reset. The camera is about 25' up on a utility pole, about 1000' from the house - making access for a lazy slob like me, very unappealing. Especially since @Crazykiller apparently attempted this with no success.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t try a hardware reset yet. Only firmware upgrade and resetting to factory defaults, but not with the reset button. I think I’m at least as lazy as you and mine is mounted at the corner of my house
I’ve got another one in “spare”. If I find time, good weather and the right mood I’ll swap it and inspect the faulty one. At the moment it’s freezing outside, no good idea to climb on a ladder.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
[QUOTE="erkme73, post: 330982, member: 2054”]
Andy did suggest that I do a hardware reset. The camera is about 25' up on a utility pole, about 1000' from the house - making access for a lazy slob like me, very unappealing. Especially since @Crazykiller apparently attempted this with no success.
I didn’t try a hardware reset yet. Only firmware upgrade and resetting to factory defaults, but not with the reset button. I think I’m at least as lazy as you and mine is mounted at the corner of my house
I’ve got another one in “spare”. If I find time, good weather and the right mood I’ll swap it and inspect the faulty one. At the moment it’s freezing outside, no good idea to climb on a ladder.
Dangit... Why'd you go clarify! Now I HAVE to try ;) I think I would have known that you didn't do a hard reset, if I wasn't wearing my lazy-goggles. Let's race to see who gets it done first... Hint: I'll let you win :)

I really think I have to at least try because my exposures really look horrible since this has been happening. Everything is too dark when set to auto, and if I try to tweak the image, it gets too cartoon-ish. I'm really hoping a full reset will fix all that ails it. Expensive piece of hardware to be acting this way.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dangit... Why'd you go clarify! Now I HAVE to try ;) I think I would have known that you didn't do a hard reset, if I wasn't wearing my lazy-goggles. Let's race to see who gets it done first... Hint: I'll let you win :)

I really think I have to at least try because my exposures really look horrible since this has been happening. Everything is too dark when set to auto, and if I try to tweak the image, it gets too cartoon-ish. I'm really hoping a full reset will fix all that ails it. Expensive piece of hardware to be acting this way.
Yep, will double check mine when I’m going to swap it. I’m not sure, but seems it is also not that weather proof than declared. Seems the glass is dusty from inside.