SD49225XA-HNR POE issue?

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I bought the SD49225XA-HNR from Andy last year and only just had a chance to mount it. Yesterday before I mounted it I gave it a quick test, connected the cam to my old Netgear GS110TP POE switch logged into the cam directly on .108 and although the camera was working when I tried to pan to the left or right it would crash. Up/down worked fine.

I then connected to it vi SmartPSS and this time it was working just fine.

Today I mounted it outside and connected to the switch (CAT5 cable). This time in SmartPSS the moment I press the left/right the camera crashes and switch shows POE fault.

I take that left/right are controlled via different motor and possibly require more power? The cam specs mentions POE+ and my switch is only POE but then why did it work yesterday. The only difference is that today I disconnected everything from the switch to test the camera.

when resetting PTZ function Ican see the camera goes up/down/left/right etc. so the motors must be fine.

Any ideas guys? Do I need a new POE+ switch or there could be something wrong with the cam or the switch? All my other Dahua cameras (Fixed domes) work just fine.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You answered your own question LOL.

The PTZ needs POE+ and the fixed cams do not.

When you tested it without anything else plugged into the POE switch, it could probably just barely keep up.

You either get a POE+ switch or a POE+ injector.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You answered your own question LOL.

It needs POE+.

When you tested it without anything else plugged into the POE switch, it could probably just barely keep up.
Thanks but how do you mean? Doesnt unplugging everything from the switch mean it has more spare power to deliver to single device vs multiple devices connected at the same time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, a POE port will only provide up to 15.4w of power. It will not provide more power to the port even if nothing else is on the POE switch.

But each POE switch also has a power budget and rarely will you find a POE switch that is capable of providing a full 15.4w to EVERY port at the same time. It might be a 4 port switch with a POE budget of 45 watts. Do the math and it comes up short. So with nothing else plugged in, the PTZ can limp by on 15.4w, but once other cams are plugged in, each port may only get 12 watts and it sputters out.

So what happened is you fired up the PTZ and with minimal action, etc. it was "able" to kinda function.

Now you ran it outside (longer wire so electric loss there) and then outside motion probably involves a higher bitrate than when it was benchtesting inside, so it needs more power.

But it will certainly fail at night once IR kicks in.

Plus underpowering a camera for too long will shorten its life.

Last edited:

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, a POE port will only provide up to 15.4w of power. It will not provide more power to the port even if nothing else is on the POE switch.

But each POE switch also has a power budget and rarely will you find a POE switch that is capable of providing a full 15.4w to EVERY port at the same time. It might be a 4 port switch with a POE budget of 45 watts. Do the math and it comes up short. So within nothing else plugged in, the PTZ can limp by on 15.4w, but once other cams are plugged in, each port may only get 12 watts and it sputters out.

So what happened is you fired up the PTZ and with minimal action, etc. it was "able" to kinda function.

Now you ran it outside (longer wire so electric loss there) and then outside motion probably involves a higher bitrate than when it was benchtesting inside, so it needs more power.

But it will certainly fail at night once IR kicks in.

Plus underpowering a camera for too long will shorten its life.
In that case this would have nothing to do with other devices being plugged in or not.
I think I have the answer now, the other difference which I just realised is yesterday I tested it during a day, today it was with IR on.

Thanks, looks like it’s time to up the switch. Any recommendations? I only need 8 ports.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well it would be an even more problem if the POE switch was unable to provide the full 15.4w if all of the other ports were being used, which is the case for your switch.

I looked up the specs on your switch (assuming you have an 8 port) - it says: POWER-OVER-ETHERNET - 8 Gigabit PoE ports (802.3af) providing up to 15.4w per port with 46w total PoE power budget. PoE-capable on all Ports of the Switch .

So lets do the math - it has a total POE budget of 46watts. It has 8 ports. 46/8 = 5.75watts per port if every port used. But when you unplugged everything, you got 15.4 watts to the PTZ camera.

Now with everything plugged in, some of the fixed cams would be using less than 5.75 watts, so the port to the PTZ would get anywhere from 5.75watts up to 15.4 watts.

You could go with a Netgear POE+ or simply get a cheap POE+ injector and you can still use your existing POE switch.

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tenda brand are so much bang for your buck. I use a couple and they have been reliable for me as well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case this would have nothing to do with other devices being plugged in or not.
I think I have the answer now, the other difference which I just realised is yesterday I tested it during a day, today it was with IR on.

Thanks, looks like it’s time to up the switch. Any recommendations? I only need 8 ports.
You always need to use a POE switch that provides the specified power output for the camera.
Look at the specs for the cam, then look for a POE switch that meets those specs.
You also run the risk of burning up a new cam that is being underfeed power wise.