SD5A425XA-HNR PTZ Auto Tracking set up guide or Wiki

Colors

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been searching the intets and this forum for some knowledge of how to configure the Intrusion or Tripwire PTZ auto tracking.
I have come up with a few settings, however it is not working as expected. IE it will not auto track.

I have set up a PTZ Function for Main Position.
I have set up a Smart Plan for the function. as Deep IVS
I have set up Deep IVS and added an Intrusion for appears and cross, enter and exit
Obviously I am missing something here,

Device Type: SD5A425XA-HNR
System Version V2.812.0000040.0.R, Build Date: 2022-09-28
WEB Version V3.2.1.1318090.P9
ONVIF Version 21.12(V3.1.0.1235054)
PTZ Version V2.401.0000000.98.RHNAN_210402_37819

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may need to only choose appears and cross OR enter and exit (not both). I don't remember exactly, but when I set it up it didn't seem to make intuitive sense to me how it was configured.
@wittaj helped me with this, IIRC. I'm not in front of my PC right now, but if I get to it tonight I can post some screen shots.

Once you get that configured, the lighting can be quite a bit of denial and error to dial in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, we need more information.

Post screenshots of the preset where we can see the field of view and your settings.

Post screenshots of your brightness, exposure, etc. settings.

And make sure you are using Internet Explorer as the Dahua PTZs are sensitive to browser. Not Chrome or Edge with the IE tab, plain ole Internet Explorer.

Colors

n3wb
Reaction score
The Camera Conditions for Picture, Exposure, Backlight, etc. are pretty much default. No issues apparent in video quality.
Attached camera screenshots, without the camera vid image. Hope that is fine and useful.
For the Internet Explorer Browser suggestion, are you implying that the menu settings or saving the configuration will not show with edge Chromium or other browsers?
Note: I am learning the camera - relative recent purchase - before I mount it in place for use.

Attachments

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cameras were all set up to use IE. If you don't use it weird things happen. IIRC, one of the things I experienced was that I clicked a check box and then saved the setting and it didn't save, that or the checkbox wasn't even present with Chrome... It's been a little while, regardless always use IE.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It needs to be in Internet Explorer or the settings won't hold. Some of them may, but in particular the track time will not. And some settings won't even show for you in another browser.

So we see no field of view in this image - we need to see that and the IVS lines as you could be trying to do too much with a field of view. The field of view and placement of where the IVS rules are critical for successful tracking. Like for example if this is in the house, you walking by may be too close as an example. Or waving a hand in front of the lens expecting it to track.

Ideally it would help to see video of a person walking by and seeing what the camera is doing. That is where an SD card in the camera is invaluable.

Running these better cameras on default/auto settings is a recipe for disaster, even more so with an autotracking camera. It has nothing to do with what the image looks like now.

Min size should be left at 0,0 if you are using human or vehicle AI as the object to track.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not run default/auto settings. It looks like you are basically at that.

It is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct, and these can change during different seasons for some FoVs.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post. Most see better results if the contrast number is 8-10 higher than the brightness number.

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly. An entire Field of View intrusion box can cause it to latch on to the wrong item.

The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or using default/auto settings or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

Colors

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, sounds like I am on the right track then.
Internet Explorer is a no go on Windows 11, unless "Internet Explorer mode" on Edge Chromium will work? Otherwise, I might have to spin up a Virtual PC with an older OS.
Sounds like I will have to install the camera in it's final place and then work with the settings.
The Demo place I have it mounted is within 3 feet of target and the vertical is one foot above the target, which might be the issue, if I am understanding correctly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like not using Internet Explorer and demoing it where the object is within 3 feet of the target is the issue.

Any chance you can temp rig it outside to test it?

Colors

n3wb
Reaction score
I have enabled IE explorer mode and that appears to add some buttons that were missing. AI Live Mode for example was missing between the Live and Play back Tabs at the Top left of the page.
Any chance I can rig it up at it's final resting place? Not without difficulty on my part. I have some Network Wire cowboys coming by to install runs in a week.
at that time, I will have it mounted.
I appreciate all the feedback. I can either resurrect this post at that time with the status or start a new one and reference this one, If I continue to have issues and\or post the info for the complete setup and functionality of the Auto Track

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one item we have noticed is track time will always default back to 15 seconds if it is anything other than actual Internet Explorer.

If you wanted to confirm tracking is working, could you temp mount with a 4x4 in a bucket of rocks outside?