Sealevel Device

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who is using a Sealevel device with their Blue Iris?

Who that is using it finds it reliable?

What model are you using?

I have one camera with alarm connections and have 2 Bosch Pir's on order. I want to hook up a sensor on 2 sides of the house and have the ptz spin to the detection side.

Hoping to hear some success stories.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Who is using a Sealevel device with their Blue Iris?

Who that is using it finds it reliable?

What model are you using?

I have one camera with alarm connections and have 2 Bosch Pir's on order. I want to hook up a sensor on 2 sides of the house and have the ptz spin to the detection side.

Hoping to hear some success stories.
if you have a camera with alarm connections, why do you need the sealevel device?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought it would simplify the process. I don't want to fry that new camera trying to rug it. I'm skeeerd!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought it would simplify the process. I don't want to fry that new camera trying to rug it. I'm skeeerd!
PIR's have dry contacts, there's no voltage, you connect one wire to alarm in, and one to the ground, or it might be called common, that's it, and power to the PIR, there's really no way to fry the camera.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So no splitter to pir or anything for the SD59?
you have to power the PIR so you will probably need a 24v to 12vdc converter or another POE cable or something, but you'll need that with the sealevel device too, the PIR has to be powered somehow, but the only wires from the PIR to the cam are dry leads, no power.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered this..

(1)iCreatin Active 12V PoE power over ethernet Splitter

(2 pack)BOSCH SECURITY VIDEO ISC-BPR2-WP12 Blue Line Gen2

And the microphone.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I ordered this..

(1)iCreatin Active 12V PoE power over ethernet Splitter

(2 pack)BOSCH SECURITY VIDEO ISC-BPR2-WP12 Blue Line Gen2

And the microphone.
that will work fine, how are you powering the camera? It's POE+ so you'll need a second network cable run. :)

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was going to use the power supply that came with the camera and run 14-16 gauge wire for the run. I suppose I could do something similar for the pir's. Use a power supply and run wire to each sensor. Actually pretty simple runs being the cat6a is already ran.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was going to use the power supply that came with the camera and run 14-16 gauge wire for the run. I suppose I could do something similar for the pir's. Use a power supply and run wire to each sensor. Actually pretty simple runs being the cat6a is already ran.
yeah 24v from the cam will fry the PIR

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wasn't meaning run the pir's from the same brick. Get a cheap one that can handle 2 of them.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well they will be in early next week. Good weather should get me up and running by Wednesday. I will see if I can can find a 12v transformer that has 2 wires to connect to my pir's. Keep it as simple as possible for me.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the 12v splitter should run both. or however you decide it's all good. I wanna get a zwave sensor myself to test and see how it does.
If you're running a separate cable to power the PIRs I wouldn't bother trying to use PoE. Just power the PIR from a 12v supply inside your house, you could use bell wire or ethernet cable. Most motion detectors expect 12vdc +/- a little. The only reason to use a PoE splitter is if you've got PoE feeding the camera and don't want to run another cable.

The other thing you could do would be put a 24vac to 12vdc adapter in the junction box where you're making up the camera's connections and use that to power the motion detectors:
Amazon.com: R-Tech 24 VAC to 12 VDC, 1.5 Amp Supply Current Power Adapter for Surveillance Security Camera CCTV: Home Audio & Theater
Amazon.com: uxcell Waterproof AC 24V (16V~28V) / DC 24V (16V~40V) to DC 12V 3A 36W Power Converter Regulator Electronic Transformer: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to find some cheap 12v adapters to power the pir's. One would probably be sufficient to run both I'd think. The Boschs are not waterproof so they will be under the eves. I'm pretty impressed with the visual detection I have setup so far. Shadows haven't messed with it, my bassets haven't been setting it off but my wife walking through the yard do set it off or kids that come to the fence to place with them set it off. Had a cat come through last night and tripped the front and side yard as it strolled through. I like it. I'm sure rain and snow will still send it through the roof and the pir will fix that. I will have to get one more camera for the front and the last side that pir can send a trigger signal to BI. I'm already recording 24/7.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're running a separate cable to power the PIRs I wouldn't bother trying to use PoE. Just power the PIR from a 12v supply inside your house, you could use bell wire or ethernet cable. Most motion detectors expect 12vdc +/- a little. The only reason to use a PoE splitter is if you've got PoE feeding the camera and don't want to run another cable.

The other thing you could do would be put a 24vac to 12vdc adapter in the junction box where you're making up the camera's connections and use that to power the motion detectors:
Amazon.com: R-Tech 24 VAC to 12 VDC, 1.5 Amp Supply Current Power Adapter for Surveillance Security Camera CCTV: Home Audio & Theater
Amazon.com: uxcell Waterproof AC 24V (16V~28V) / DC 24V (16V~40V) to DC 12V 3A 36W Power Converter Regulator Electronic Transformer: Electronics
The PoE splitter is for the mic I'm installing on the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the 12v splitter should run both. or however you decide it's all good. I wanna get a zwave sensor myself to test and see how it does.
I'd like to know how the zwave works for you. I'd like to to eventually add zwave products to the house for windows, doors, etc.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The PoE splitter is for the mic I'm installing on the camera.
Honestly I'd just use a 24VAC to 12VDC power supply installed in the box where the connections for the camera are happening. Any of the power supplies like this you'll find have more than enough power for a microphone and 2 motion detectors.

If I remember correctly the "iCreatin Active 12V PoE power over ethernet Splitter" is one on @nayr's shit list. I think it died with a load well under the spec'd max.

Last edited:

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Would something like this be sufficient to run the mic and 2 pir's? I could then bypass the splitter and if the part goes bad would be in my laundry room computer area to swap out. Running a little wire will be cake work since the cat 6 cable is there.

TekPower TP1863 12 Amp DC 13.8V Regulated Power Supply with Fuse Protection | eBay
13.8v, it's a "little" over 12, but it I would think it would be okay. As far as I know amps don't matter because devices only draw what they need and PIRs don't need much.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.