Secure ways to connect to Dahua NVR remotely?

SteveL

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't find a better place to post this, so if this is not a correct section, please move.

I tried searching the forums and online but I couldn't find clear answers. Maybe I was also a little too lazy to search properly..

We installed Dahua cameras and a Dahua NVR to our customer, which happens to be an embassy of a certain country. I will get their demands, regarding their data security, in a couple of weeks but I am supposed to send them some info on the options.

Usually, we just set up the remote connection through P2P, it is more than enough for most of our customers and it is easy for us to set up. I tried looking around the forums and found some topics on the P2P and different opinions on it.

Now I thought that I should ask this on a separate thread. Which would be the most ideal way to securely remotely connect to a Dahua NVR? Mostly it will be the head of security who will be using his phone to view the cameras but they will probably want to have the cameras live feed visible to other staff members as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a better place to post this, so if this is not a correct section, please move.

I tried searching the forums and online but I couldn't find clear answers. Maybe I was also a little too lazy to search properly..

We installed Dahua cameras and a Dahua NVR to our customer, which happens to be an embassy of a certain country. I will get their demands, regarding their data security, in a couple of weeks but I am supposed to send them some info on the options.

Usually, we just set up the remote connection through P2P, it is more than enough for most of our customers and it is easy for us to set up. I tried looking around the forums and found some topics on the P2P and different opinions on it.

Now I thought that I should ask this on a separate thread. Which would be the most ideal way to securely remotely connect to a Dahua NVR? Mostly it will be the head of security who will be using his phone to view the cameras but they will probably want to have the cameras live feed visible to other staff members as well.
Im surprised an embassy let you install dahua. The cameras must be on their own lan/vlan, blocked from accessing the internet and if remote accessed is needed, vpn.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^ Is it outline somewhere on here what are the best practices or check boxes we need to check and un-check to make make sure our cameras do not call home - but still allow remove viewing through out NVR's be it Dahua, Hikvision or in my case snynology?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ Is it outline somewhere on here what are the best practices or check boxes we need to check and un-check to make make sure our cameras do not call home - but still allow remove viewing through out NVR's be it Dahua, Hikvision or in my case snynology?
Read the wiki

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow didn't get much help did you guys....I've read the wiki for days and still have questions too.
To summarize what I think I learned, the most basic approach is you don't have it connected to anything through which it could get an Internet connection. But, since you want remote viewing/remote access, that's not practical.

More or less, you leave the cameras and the PC/NVR settings as they must be to connect to each other, but block all outbound traffic from that LAN/VLAN to the WAN/Internet using rules in the router. Then you set up a VPN that allows secure access to that LAN/VLAN from the outside world.

That's pretty short and sweet, but I think it covers the gist. The exact way it's all done of course depends on what you have/have to work with.

Perhaps those are the things you already know and are looking for step by step. If so, I don't recall seeing a written step-by-step for all of that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow didn't get much help did you guys....I've read the wiki for days and still have questions too.
@Rockky, sorry man this is a DIY (Do It Yourself) forum not a DIFY (Do It For You) forum. If OP gets stuck and needs help he will find some help here, but you should expect to "read the wiki for days", as well as numerous threads before getting to that point as an awful lot has been discussed and rediscussed here multiple times. I think you might just be seeing frustration from people with better things to do than repeat themselves for the upteenth time when they have already spent a lot of free time creating guides for important aspects of DIY IP Camera stuff.

Regarding the OP's post, @fenderman gave him the search terms that will get him to answers to his questions, i.e. he can put the devices on a separate LAN or (assuming they have decent network equipment) on VLANs so internet-bound traffic can be filtered.
Google Search: "Separate LAN" site:ipcamtalk.com separate lan - Google Search 1,800 results
Google Search: "VLAN" site:ipcamtalk.com vlan - Google Search 450 results.

Both @mat200 and @fenderman have pointed the OP towards some reading for VPN access (@mat200 directly linked useful content), but if the OP is installing equipment in embassies there will probably be tight rules for access, and probably even a network expert at his disposal.

Rockky

n3wb
Reaction score
Going to order the following, what kind of poe cable are you going to use?
Sent this to andy.
1) NVR5216 4KS2 V2 16 english version

2) IPC HDW4831EM ASE english version
Is this 4k a quality cam for the money? Are there quality cheaper 4k options?
3)IPC HDW2231 ZS english version
4) will mount both camaras on soffit (ceiling), do i need to purchase anything for that.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Going to order the following, what kind of poe cable are you going to use?
Sent this to andy.
1) NVR5216 4KS2 V2 16 english version

2) IPC HDW4831EM ASE english version
Is this 4k a quality cam for the money? Are there quality cheaper 4k options?
3)IPC HDW2231 ZS english version
4) will mount both camaras on soffit (ceiling), do i need to purchase anything for that.
Lots of questions there. You should probably start a separate thread for your particular questions so we don't pollute the OP's thread about security for that embassy's system.