Secured your NVR? These scammers haven't!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I love this one,
A YouTube channel called 'JimBrowning' does amazing work in scam baiting.

This latest video I love.
Have these scammers secured their NVR? Nope! Thank you Jim, Let's watch this group.

Then he shared the footage and got it on BBC on it...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There was a Panorama program on the BBC last night on this topic, with the videos.
I've not watched it yet, it's recorded.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
update: Owner of scam call center in custody.
( tags: scammers hacked call center centre arrested )

Scam call centre owner in custody after BBC investigation
By BBC Panorama

A scam call centre that targeted thousands of British victims has been raided by the Indian police, following a BBC investigation.

Panorama broadcast hacked footage from inside the call centre which showed how staff charged people hundreds of pounds to fix non-existent computer problems.

The owner of the call centre, Amit Chauhan, denied it was a scam but declined to answer detailed questions.

Mr Chauhan is now in custody after police raided the call centre.

It was located in the Gurugram suburb of Delhi, and Mr Chauhan is due to appear in court on Thursday.

The programme had also obtained the recordings of 70,000 calls where victims were being ripped off in the UK, America and Australia.

Indian police are appealing for British residents who paid money to the call centre to contact them by email at Shocybergrg.pol-hry@gov.in.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Panorama broadcast hacked footage from inside the call centre which showed how staff charged people hundreds of pounds to fix non-existent computer problems.
The programme had also obtained the recordings of 70,000 calls where victims were being ripped off in the UK, America and Australia.
I'm sorry. BBC claiming this work as their own?
Excuse me? They're lucky to have this footage shared with them.
Then again we know what the media can be like......

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The BBC did not claim this was their own. They worked with the scambaiter.
The Hikvision backdoor allows full access to a subset of functions without authentication, it doesn't matter what passwords are set.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The BBC did not claim this was their own. They worked with the scambaiter.
The Hikvision backdoor allows full access to a subset of functions without authentication, it doesn't matter what passwords are set.
Would be interesting to know if Jim did know and use the backdoor. I see an open tab with 'Login' in some parts of the video.