security at night is bad

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a camera with 4mm lens of the type Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP.
At the day I can read vehicle licenseplates, but at night I have a problem with moving objects.
Even persons that walking by, are fading and you can not regonize people.
I have the highest resolution and 20fps.
I have a movie of two criminals that are coming with a scooter, park it arround the corner and walking back.
Please see the people move and understand what I mean. What can I do about it?

Walking criminals:

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry buddy. They are too far and with that tree in the way it will blow out the image.

Your shutter speed is too slow also for motion.

I would change shutter to 1/120 or 1/100 and manually set the IR light to a low number like 10-20% and try that. Even then you won't get face ID on the other side of the road at night. Need high focal length for that. A 4mm 8MP won't work (I have the same camera too)

You fell for "Highest resolution and 20FPS" meme

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a movie of two criminals that are coming with a scooter, park it arround the corner and walking back.
Please see the people move and understand what I mean. What can I do about it?
The image is being dominated by the bright close bushes.
Experimenting with the HLC level under Backlight Settings should help that.
And your exposure time is too long, as stated by @Warptrooper

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You must have some big-@$$ plates where you live - no way a 4mm would pick up plates at that distance in the US.

But yeah at night you gotta take shutter off auto. Use a faster shutter speed and adjust other parameters to help take the glare off that tree.

Reaction score
Under Day/Night , Move the "Distance" number to zero and work up. mine is set at 50. may not help . Another approach. Turn IR off ( Smart Supplement light OFF) and add a independent IR light off axis with your camera say off to the right or as high as possible and not hit the tree. From above ( second or third floor) and shield the tree from the light. Crude picture added.

Attachments

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry buddy. They are too far and with that tree in the way it will blow out the image.

Your shutter speed is too slow also for motion.

I would change shutter to 1/120 or 1/100 and manually set the IR light to a low number like 10-20% and try that. Even then you won't get face ID on the other side of the road at night. Need high focal length for that. A 4mm 8MP won't work (I have the same camera too)

You fell for "Highest resolution and 20FPS" meme
Thank you for your tips.
I did now set the shutter to 1/50. If I do that higher, the picture is turning to unsharp/blurry.
Where can I find the IR-light settings?
Ok, you tell me, I won't get a face ID on the other side of the road at night (And than also no numberplates of cars passing by).
I felld for this meme you said :-( I thought I bought the best. What is a better choice for me, with still having the same model of camera (if possible)?. I have three of these camera's in a row on my house.
It is very annoying if you have camera's for security, but you can not regonize the criminals that walked by.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under Day/Night , Move the "Distance" number to zero and work up. mine is set at 50. may not help . Another approach. Turn IR off ( Smart Supplement light OFF) and add a independent IR light off axis with your camera say off to the right or as high as possible and not hit the tree. From above ( second or third floor) and shield the tree from the light. Crude picture added.
I have to do that distance thing try at night I guess. I turned it on to manualy now and it is allready on 50. How do I have to test with this numbers and what does these numbers say?
A standalone IR light you mean? Do you have a tip what one I should buy?
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-14 om 09.40.26.png

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But this percentage is when you choose YES for 'smart extra light', so I can not test it untill I have this extra IR light?
The example of your IR light, is that good light? Or just a random light.
I also see this light is cheap on Ali:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
But this percentage is when you choose YES for 'smart extra light', so I can not test it untill I have this extra IR light?
The example of your IR light, is that good light? Or just a random light.
I also see this light is cheap on Ali:
Smart light is within camera. If supplemental light is off , then no internal IR light from camera.
By doing this you will get less camera-sourced light projected out and less reflected light back to the camera and the automatic gain will lighten the whole picture. Will it help see people...?? Try and see.
My IR light was just an example. Your pick looks good.

By placing an alternate IR light above and aimed at street, the foreground trees can not be lit up or the same result.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another problem you have is that the sensor size is too small for "good" night time performance at 8MP. A 1/2.5" sensor can provide a reasonable picture at night in a 2MP camera, but when going to 8MP the light is cut to, roughly, less than 25% of what reaches each pixel in a 2MP camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
In other threads you were cautioned to not go after high MP cams and that sensor size was important. But you bought the 8MP cam on the 1/2.5" sensor anyway. You also stated it was for bird watching and not for security. So now you are complaining that the cams you bought for bird watching are not good for security. But they are the ones that people stated would not have good low light night performance.

You can't expect a cam chosen for bird watching to be used for security. Your problem is that the sensor is small, the MP count is high, and the lens is too wide.

Reaction score
I’ll just help with interface. With Ir
I don't understand this part. If smartlight is turned of, my camera uses his own IR when it is night.
Smartlight is your camera’s light. It has on , off and auto mode( smartlight) I am suggesting you go from mode ”auto” to ” manual” and set the distance to very low “ low light level” and slowly raise it. Easy to play with and doesn’t cost anything. May not help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think the tree is the main problem right now. It will be a much bigger problem when it grows some more.

Right now the biggest problem is the camera doesn't have good enough low-light performance. See the Noise Reduction Ghosting clip here: Common issues with camera image

Secondary to that, the camera's view angle is too wide.

I'd suggest as an alternative a 4MP starlight varifocal. Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

You are trying to do too much with one camera. You need two cameras 1) to cover the immediate yard and 2) zoomed to cover the street for ID if you are so inclined. You're not going to do both well with one camera.