security camera with minimal false alarm

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a security camera with minimal to zero false alarm on motions. Could be IP/NVR or DVR. No wireless please.

Please let me know manufacturer and model.

thanks,
Frank

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I cannot speak for all cams but I have tested a few in my day and its all about how you set em up, location and environmental activity going on in the background. Adjusting sensitivity can be a tricky game and some will be better off with other means of triggers like IVS or external sensors. Tons of posts here on this site about it. IMOHO one cam is as good or bad as the other if setup properly or not. I do not think their is a king here when it comes to that.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is no such camera, as it all depends on setup, location, configuration. Rain, IR light, external lights, moving clouds, sunlight etc etc..

You could go with camera's that have alarm inputs. They can have switches, door sensors, PIR (passive infrared) sensors and other security devices connected to the inputs.

This should minimize false alerts, but in the end it all depends on the configuration of all components and settings. A stupid fly on the lens can or will trigger a motion alarm or tampering / de-focus alarm.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. BTW, this will be an outdoor camera.
What about cameras with thermal sensors? I have read, from manufacturer, that they will only trigger on heat, thus minimizing false alarms?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. BTW, this will be an outdoor camera.
What about cameras with thermal sensors? I have read, from manufacturer, that they will only trigger on heat, thus minimizing false alarms?
If you want to spend the $$$ go for it, I have a cam set up inside my garage (older hacked china dahua) and it does pretty well without a lot of false alerts. Usually dust orbs will set it off, It will be tripped by a mouse going across the garage floor. Inside false triggers will be a lot less. Now outside...that a different story.

Reaction score
...security camera with minimal to zero false alarm on motion
I get tons of false alarms due to shadows and trees.

I am considering both the thermal/camera combo (but the cost is DEFINITELY a factor compared to an IP camera), but also am looking at SeaLevel DIO integration with Blue iris combined with combo sensors (microwave plus PIR to reduce false positives). Hopefully, whichever I try will work, but definitely in the same boat with the false alarms!

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @chris527.
Just some info on me. I am a noob. I am have only been exposed to cameras found at Costco or Bestbuys. I currently have an old Lorex LHV221600. It has poor night vision and has tons of false alarms. Also doesn't detect motion when motion is 100ft from the camera.

I plan on buying 2 sets of camera system. There are blind spots in my backyard. So one camera system will be dedicated to the blind spots. The base station for this I can house in the backyard 30ft away from the house.

The other system will be generally viewing the perimeter of the entire(about 6 cams) home but would like to have zoom and good night vision (130ft+), 3MP+.

The thermal cameras I have read are swan cameras.

BTW, I read up on IVS. It may do the trick for me?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You might better re think swann thermal, I would dare say they are NOT going to be what you expect.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Presently I have two Dahua cams. As others have alluded to, the one in the garage very seldom detects motion as in the nuisance type.

The one outside, yeah... that's a different matter. At times I resort to turning off motion detection and notifications, like when its snowing.

Reaction score
I was considering the thermal camera reviewed here by trusted contributor: Thermal Mini Hybrid Bullet Camera

But there are also some threads here about SeaLevel DIO, and I found a BOSCH combo sensor I would try if I went that route. But I don’t have either and can’t offer advice as a result.

However, I would discourage you from selecting additional cameras from Costco or BestBuy, there are cheaper options here that could can get way better night results with. I think motion detection just requires more patience to get setup and reduce your false positives, I am looking at alternatives because when I get the settings wrong I get like 1000 alerts due to snow or wavy trees hehe.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@crd030 Thanks for the thermal cam link. Read it and I will probably go with cams with IVS and or PIR.
Yea, my lorex has limited settings I can adjust.

Anyone have a suggestion on a outdoor system with good night vision (at least 100ft), good customer service, WDR, and 940nm? Is it better to buy a kitted system or buy separately? I have seen brand like, Dahua, Hikvision, and Blue Iris. Anyone of these have better features than the other or are they basically the same.

I also don't mind having extra IR lights around the backyard.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a security camera with minimal to zero false alarm on motions. Could be IP/NVR or DVR. No wireless please.

Please let me know manufacturer and model.

thanks,
Frank
Hi @farnk

Q: Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a security camera with minimal to zero false alarm on motions.

A: Zero false alarms: Easy to do - turn off motion detection. No alarms = zero false ones.

Ok, so I take it you really are looking for zero false alarms ( motion ) and 100% accurate "true" alarms

A: There is no such product in the security camera category.

Use a security alarm system in conjunction with a security camera system.

Set up traditional alarm sensors with security cameras and have the security alarm sensors send the alarm signal to the camera and/or NVR.

Reaction score
I reduced the false alarms of my Foscams (FI9853EP) to almost 0 (well in fact 0 so far, but I tested it only for a couple of days) by putting a Raspberry PI that act as FTP server (the Foscams support FTP upload) and it analyzes the images using a neural network. My code is public, but no guarantees, you would be one of the first to test it and you do need IT skills to set it up. But it could be a decent start to get usefull results.

brunokeymolen/aiintruder

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Having played with cameras for 7 years, the closest thing Ive seen in a camera itself to 0 false alerts has been the new IPC-B5442T-ASE.

Review here

This is one of the newer Pro AI series and while Ive only had in installed for going on 3 weeks I've yet to get a false alert.
The location it's in used to give me false alerts every day due to tree limb shadows, car lights at night, etc with 3 different cameras. This one has been rock solid so far using IVS Tripwire rule and filtering for humans only.