security clarification

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a Costco Lorex system, ran my cables and installed everything myself. And I am not particularly handy. I also read the VPN Primer for newbs , realized I was incapable of setting up a vpn with my current router so I purchased an Asus router. Port forwarding not activated and upnp deactivated on new Asus.
I was able to set up a VPN connection on my phone thanks to some great tutorials on this forum. Downloaded the Lorex app on my iPhone and expected to have to use the vpn connection to connect when not on wifi. I was able to connect to my nvr via my phone without the vpn , my wife's phone ( no vpn even set up ) and my son's phone (no vpn). All while not on wifi.
The question is....am I secure just using the app without vpn? Or is there setting that is "on" in the nvr that I need to turn off ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a Costco Lorex system, ran my cables and installed everything myself. And I am not particularly handy. I also read the VPN Primer for newbs , realized I was incapable of setting up a vpn with my current router so I purchased an Asus router. Port forwarding not activated and upnp deactivated on new Asus.
I was able to set up a VPN connection on my phone thanks to some great tutorials on this forum. Downloaded the Lorex app on my iPhone and expected to have to use the vpn connection to connect when not on wifi. I was able to connect to my nvr via my phone without the vpn , my wife's phone ( no vpn even set up ) and my son's phone (no vpn). All while not on wifi.
The question is....am I secure just using the app without vpn? Or is there setting that is "on" in the nvr that I need to turn off ?
Hi VonLeo,

Great job! You've got things going well so far.

Which Lorex app are you using?

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat200

I am using the Lorex Secure iOS app. I am open to recommendations. The nvr is lorex lnr6100.

Your posts have , as well as others, have been a tremendous help.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using without VPN and no upnp/forwarding you are likely using dahua P2P...still no good..you are relying on dahua to keep that connection secure..I would not ..

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been googling and experimenting all day. Apparently you cannot disable the P2P on the Lorex nvr. The best advice I read was to block internet access on the router. This kills the Lorex Secure app when you vpn in but it still works local.

I tried a few iOS viewing apps that seemed to either want to use P2P or that I could not figure out how to connect them to my nvr

A point in the right direction would be appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been googling and experimenting all day. Apparently you cannot disable the P2P on the Lorex nvr. The best advice I read was to block internet access on the router. This kills the Lorex Secure app when you vpn in but it still works local.

I tried a few iOS viewing apps that seemed to either want to use P2P or that I could not figure out how to connect them to my nvr

A point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Hi VonLeo,

Do we know what ports it is using?

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi VonLeo,

I do not know which port.

I found this interesting blog earlier today. Almost all of it was over my head.

Unauthorized FLIR (Lorex) Cloud Access

Reading the comments at the end the blogger's only suggestion seem to be to disable internet access for the nvr on the router , although he mentions that he does vpn in. I also read a similar suggestion in this forum.

A dahua wiki also indicates that you can disable the P2P on some of their nvrs, but I don't believe I can on this lorex branded one. Maybe that is a lorex firmware issue , although my nvr firmware states it is up to date.

I am hoping there is an answer that is within my skill set so that I can vpn and remote view without causing a big security risk for my system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not know which port.

I found this interesting blog earlier today. Almost all of it was over my head.

Unauthorized FLIR (Lorex) Cloud Access

Reading the comments at the end the blogger's only suggestion seem to be to disable internet access for the nvr on the router , although he mentions that he does vpn in. I also read a similar suggestion in this forum.

A dahua wiki also indicates that you can disable the P2P on some of their nvrs, but I don't believe I can on this lorex branded one. Maybe that is a lorex firmware issue , although my nvr firmware states it is up to date.

I am hoping there is an answer that is within my skill set so that I can vpn and remote view without causing a big security risk for my system.
We'll figure it out. Just will take some time.

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi VonLeo,

While I am sure most folks on this forum already know , P2P appears to be nearly impossible to block because according to what I have read if you block one port , it just starts using another.

I did try enabling parental controls on my router and using a setting that blocked P2P. That didn't work. I actually think I heard the nvr chuckle at that.

Looks like I'll be Googling more tonight when I get home from work.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I am sure most folks on this forum already know , P2P appears to be nearly impossible to block because according to what I have read if you block one port , it just starts using another.

I did try enabling parental controls on my router and using a setting that blocked P2P. That didn't work. I actually think I heard the nvr chuckle at that.

Looks like I'll be Googling more tonight when I get home from work.
BTW - this maybe of interest to you if you do not yet have a UPS:
FYI - deal on Cyberpower UPS - $120

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I am facing the same issue as you are. I have blocked access to the net using firewall rules. FLIR Secure app works fine when I am on local wifi. I have set up VPN on my router, able to log in and ping the NVR. So, I know that I have access to the home LAN. But, not able to get FLIR Secure app to work over VPN. Weird thing is that it worked for couple of days and then, stopped working and I am scratching my head trying to figure out what changed.....

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
It worked again today but now stopped working. I really need to put away my bottle of whiskey before tinkering with network settings ;) so I can keep track of what changed...

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
It worked again today but now stopped working. I really need to put away my bottle of whiskey before tinkering with network settings ;) so I can keep track of what changed...
Please keep me updated on your progress. I have low networking skill sets .

I am out of town visiting my daughter for a few days so to view my cameras I signing in to VPN , unblocking my nvr, checking things out for a few minutes , and then blocking the nvr from the internet again. I figure at least I am limiting my exposure. But what a PITA

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure will do. In the mean time, I used a laptop and installed openvpn client and FLIR Cloud Client on it and it seems to work every single time. If you have access to a laptop, you may want to give it a try.

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure will do. In the mean time, I used a laptop and installed openvpn client and FLIR Cloud Client on it and it seems to work every single time. If you have access to a laptop, you may want to give it a try.
Thanks for tip. I only brought my phone and iPad on this trip but I will definitely give it a shot when I get home !

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
ok. spent more time doing this as it was troubling me. Finally got it working.
Make sure that your VPN connection is working and you are on the home local network. From a web browser on your iPhone or iPad, you can type in the address of the router or the NVR and see if you are able to connect them. I assume you are already beyond this step but wanted to stress anyways.

I gave up on Lorex/Flir Secure app and downloaded FLIR Cloud Client for iPhone. It is much more sophisticated app.
Go to Device Manager.
Click + to Add a Device.
Select DVR/NVR/IP Camera.
Click on Register Mode and select IP address instead of Device ID.
Fill in the IP address, port #35000 (if you haven't changed), password and hit connect! It should work.

Feel free to post your questions.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - you can also use gDMSS Lite

Phone Apps
Dahua gDMSS Lite - Remember to change the port to 35000 in the app.