Security lighting alongside CCTV

Jay123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, just after abit of advice after reading abit around here. A lot of people seem to prefer 2mp starlight over 4mp(not starlight). What about if I was to go 4mp for clearer daytimes images but had a security light for night time to override the cameras built in IR? Would this work well and provide a quality image?

Lastly, I understand Dahua is preferred over hikvision on here could anyone explain why as im struggling to find out?. The only place In the UK it appears you can buy Dahua is aliexpress and very few limited places

Thank you

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
problem with security lighting that would go on/off with movement will be that the camera will be switching IR & IRcut on/off and leave it temporarily blind at the crossover points. In many ways, maybe better to supplement the camera IR with external illuminators to improve the FoV and even turn the camera IR off altogether to reduce the storm of bugs that will swarming around the camera at night.

As to make, well I'd say depends on your back-end system, if its a Hik NVR you'd be better served going with Hik cameras, Dahua would be onvif if you wanted to use that and accept the limitations of doing so.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, just after abit of advice after reading abit around here. A lot of people seem to prefer 2mp starlight over 4mp(not starlight). What about if I was to go 4mp for clearer daytimes images but had a security light for night time to override the cameras built in IR? Would this work well and provide a quality image?

Lastly, I understand Dahua is preferred over hikvision on here could anyone explain why as im struggling to find out?. The only place In the UK it appears you can buy Dahua is aliexpress and very few limited places

Thank you
Welcome Jay123,

iirc we've covered some of this in the cliff notes - remember those are a great resource thanks to Giomania for creating them from the vast amount of great knowledge and experiences shared here.
( please see the wiki )

#4 in my notes also touches on some of the issues why Dahua OEM products are in the lead compared to Hikvision.

There are other reasons also... for some Hikvision USA has been problematic to sites like IPVM(.com) - and you can read the articles there.
( Hikvision is partially owned by the Chinese government - and that has been problematic to Hikvision USA when journalist point that out and that the US Government is concerned about using Hikvision products in sensitive locations )

Furthermore, there are firmware policies which Hikvision has been implementing which has caused some concern among some.

For me the most important was what I mentioned in my note ( #4 point ) - Dahua beat Hikvision to the market with a good low light camera series which was well reviewed by ipcamtalk members which I could afford.

For a vendor who can send you products to the UK - I recommend Andy ( empiretecandy ) - he has a very good reputation and will do the best to ensure you get a quality product at a good price.
( please see the vendor section and also feel free to search the reviews here )

Note - he has a slight ipcamtalk member discount AND can further save a bit if you purchase from him w/o going through sites which take a cut ( ebay, amazon, ali,.. all take their cuts )

Definitely take some time to review the cliff notes, and feel free to pick up one camera to start with to test possible locations for placement.
( a lot of us prefer the IPC-HDW5231R-Z(E) models - the IPC-HDW42xx model is also well liked )

Jay123

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys lads, its much appreciated. Im looking into andy and may even drop him a message later. Im considering going down the VF route aswell, well at least on 2 of the cameras. If i uploaded some pictures, would the kind members here suggest on the placement of the cameras?