Seeking advice: wifi-camera under carport

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

First a word of excuse: i'm a complete n00b on security camera's (and on this forum).
I'm looking for a camera for under my carport, but I'm really not sure what the best option would be. Do I (for instance) need a dome camera or a turret camera?
My requirements:"
- Connected via wifi
- good night vision
- motion detection
- can be connected to my NAS (synology)
- Pricepoint under or arount $100

Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Massive thanks!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Geert_schrijver,

Welcome to the forum! Lotsa info here, just a little digging is needed. Most questions have already been asked & answered, esp the basic ones.

looney2ns is absolutely correct - WiFi for security cams is not advised.
I speak from personal experience. My wifi cam is now wired.

Some quick research found these threads that might help you:
IP Cameras Throttling Bandwidth
Best Wireless IP Turret Camera
Looking for outfoor WiFi IP camera that doesn't phone home to China/random IPs

Welcome again!
Fastb

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You won't likely find a quality IP camera that includes wifi as a feature.

But if you must, you could use one of these to connect any IP camera to your network. Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (LOCOM2US): Computers & Accessories -- There are cheaper options out there for wireless client/bridge devices, but Ubiquiti's reliability, outdoor rating, and directional antenna could save you from some headaches. In fact for a short range link like you'd likely be doing here, you should probably turn the output power way down on the ubiquiti radio so as to keep from overpowering the receiver of your access point at the other end!

As for a camera to go along with it, these are one of the cheapest options from a good quality brand: Amazon.com : IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP 3.6mm Lens Network Mini IR Dome IP Camera Built-in MIC + 48V PoE Power Supply : Camera & Photo
Wider angle lens version: Amazon.com : IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP 2.8mm Lens Network Mini IR Dome IP Camera + 48V PoE Power Supply : Camera & Photo

The cams I linked have 4 megapixel sensors which are older and not as good in low light as the starlight camera which looney2ns linked. But they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price, so ... they fit your budget better. Note that most cameras, including these, can be had at a substantial savings if you find a reputable seller on aliexpress.com. However the shipping will take a whole lot longer and if there is a problem it is more trouble to get it resolved.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
You won't likely find a quality IP camera that includes wifi as a feature.
Wow, that's a great bit of advice. I didn't think of the possibility of installing an accesspoint, but that's a clever solution. I will take a further look into the camera you suggested!

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got two of these recently from @EMPIRETECANDY for $75 each shipped. Mine don't have a microphone thou, but its just another option for you.

(hopefully this links to the thread with some pictures. Click the little up arrow next the name to go to thread)

I just ordered 2 of the IPC-HDW1320S cameras. They outta do just fine for this situation.

TomasLTU

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to add bp2008 that Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 is a great solution for IPC over distance, their setup is quite straightforward as well.

Antenna will need to work in a "Station" mode set up as a "Bridge", you lock the antenna to connect to your access point and you're good to go! You'll get instructions how to connect to the antenna itself in the box.