Seeking cost effective IP camera system setup. Help needed choosing

djt511

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I currently have a retail business inside of a mall with an old analog CCTV system that is in desperate need of upgrading but i am on a tight budget.

Current system 6 Camera 8 Channel analog (BNC) 600TVL.

Wants for new system, interested in DAHUA as i have had good experience in the past but will consider others.
  • 8 Channel iP NVR with PoE
  • 6 - 4MP Turret or Dome Camera W/ out mic (dome to cut cost down)
  • 2 - 4MP Turret or Dome Camera W/ Mic
  • Low light clarity is not important as there is always lights on
I have exchanged e-mails with Andy and he gave me a few options listed below

Cameras
IPC-HDBW5831R-ZE - Out of my price range
IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE - 4MP Turret with Mic - would consider 2 of these
IPC-HDW1431S - 4MP Dome no Mic - Would get 6 of these as this is more cost effective.

NVR

NVR4208-8p-4ks2 - This was above my budget
NVR4108-8P-4KS2 - More in my price range. (not sure the differences between the 2?)

I wanted to make sure that by using the cheaper camera and NVR i am not overlooking anything and losing alot of quality in the images?

Is there other Cams or NVRs in your opinion i should consider based on the needs of this setup?

My budget is somewhat flexible i was shooting for $800 but will re consider that if need be.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your cameras are more powerful then the NVR.
What do you plan of recording... ie 30 FPS,15 FPS, 8 FPS
The NVR4208-8p-4ks2 has Max 200Mbps Incoming Bandwidth and Up to 2ch@4K/8ch@1080P decoding, that is 2 8MP cameras and 6 2MP cameras,
The NVR4108-8P-4KS2 has Max 80Mbps Incoming Bandwidth.

With these NVR do not waste your money of 4Mp cameras.

Look at a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E it processes 320 mbps and supports up to 16 POE channels so it allows for some growth, it will handle 4 MP cameras.

Dome cameras may work inside, as there may not be any light reflections, I have no experience with domes inside.

You will need to purchase at least a 4 TB WD purple disk drive.

I would contact Andy at Empire Technology Co. for a complete quote. his email address is kingsecurity2014@163.com He is a forum member and is very highly recommended.

Stores
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
amazon .... https://www.amazon.com/s?tag=ipctk-...3EBQGJF&merchant=A329YQ83EBQGJF&redirect=true
https://www.amazon.com/s?tag=ipctk-...3EBQGJF&merchant=A329YQ83EBQGJF&redirect=true
He has more items than are listed in his store.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

djt511

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey SouthernYankee,

Thanks for the advise.

I am already in talks with Andy, he is putting me in the right direction as far as SKUS but not too much info beyond that so that is why i posted.
I plan on recording at 15FPS. I will never need beyond 8 cameras to spend the extra coin on the 16ch nvr.

Would the 4208 NVR not be able to handle the 4MP cameras i listed at 15FPS? (2 - 4431 and 6 - 1431)
What would happen if i paired those up?

Thank you

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depending on the calculator you use, assuming eight(8) 4 MP ip cameras at 15 FPS with good quality, storage 8MB/sec network 64Mb/s. Other calculator are 12MB/Sec and 99Mb/s.

The data rate and storage requirements depend on the detail of the scene and the amount of movement. The more complex the scene, then more storage. A scene that is a rack of multi color clothes, with people walking by will take a lot more storage and data, then a simple blue wall.

I recommended the NVR not based on the number of ports but on the data processing rate. I like a lot of free processing capability.

Also you will find after you install you will need a few additional camera for your problem spots.

Note.... i am very careful and over engineer everything :)

djt511

n3wb
Reaction score
So each camera will use roughly 8-12MB/sec + the network usage of 64MB/s? What happens in a situation where the incoming MB is beyond the limit of the NVR? I agree extra processing capability is a nice luxury to have, i am trying to wok in the confines of my budget.

Since i already have a system in place i am confident 8 cameras will be enough, currently have 6 the extra 2 will fill in the dead spots.

Thanks again.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
note... the upper case B is different then the lower case b. It is MB/s is megaBytes per second. Mb/S is megabits per seconds. It is just the way they specify thing. Data transmission is always in Bits.