Selecting a NVR maybe Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am reading in this forum to help me select a NVR for my home security set up.

Right now I been using cameras that had build in ScanDisk and accessing each camera to review the videos and when motion is detect it would mail me a nice snapshot in 1080 but I can't seem to get any software to access the video file directly other than using a web browser. However I could get apps or software to be able to playback live views.

So I am thinking of switching out the camera and get one of those well known name branded like Hikvision to be able to access the video files directly like from my iPhone or view the video files on the fly from a NVR rather than from the camera itself.

I think 8 camera max is all I need and I been reading up on the Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P which see to be a good choice but my concern is that ordering a right Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P so it will work on all Hikvision camera without running into a language barrier issue or something like this and I would like to be able to run the latest firmware whenever possible.

From what I read here that this NVR, folks having issue getting it to send emails with snapshot, virtual host not available issue (I wanted to be able to access each of my cameras as well too), and some Hikvision camera not working with it since I wanted to be able to buy camera from both from China suppliers on Aliexpress and USA supplier like Nelly's to have it work on the same NVR etc.

Should I choose my Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P carefully when ordering from China? Something I should watch for? Get international version etc?

Thank you
Bill

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am reading in this forum to help me select a NVR for my home security set up.

Right now I been using cameras that had build in ScanDisk and accessing each camera to review the videos and when motion is detect it would mail me a nice snapshot in 1080 but I can't seem to get any software to access the video file directly other than using a web browser. However I could get apps or software to be able to playback live views.

So I am thinking of switching out the camera and get one of those well known name branded like Hikvision to be able to access the video files directly like from my iPhone or view the video files on the fly from a NVR rather than from the camera itself.

I think 8 camera max is all I need and I been reading up on the Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P which see to be a good choice but my concern is that ordering a right Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P so it will work on all Hikvision camera without running into a language barrier issue or something like this and I would like to be able to run the latest firmware whenever possible.

From what I read here that this NVR, folks having issue getting it to send emails with snapshot, virtual host not available issue (I wanted to be able to access each of my cameras as well too), and some Hikvision camera not working with it since I wanted to be able to buy camera from both from China suppliers on Aliexpress and USA supplier like Nelly's to have it work on the same NVR etc.

Should I choose my Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P carefully when ordering from China? Something I should watch for? Get international version etc?

Thank you
Bill
Hi Bill, I'm in the same boat. I've also narrowed by selection down to 78xx or 76xx with POE. I've been using 2132 and 2432 cameras from China with english firmware, with SD Cards.

From what I can gather

- 7808N-E2/8P is likely to work across both cameras but this version according to what i've read is supposed to be a China only NVR. Which could means the firmware is not readily avail or you might encounter other issues.

This is swaying me more towards the 76XX being what I thought 7608N-E2/8P, but now you've thrown me a curve ball with the "NI"

- for the Alibaba suppliers I'd narrowed it down to I dont recall a "NI" only the "N" so I'll have to look at that now.
- Someone else commented the "I" was for International. As to what probs if any come with that re China and America cameras I am not sure re language mismatch.

I had settled on the 7808N-E2/8P until reading your post now because

- people here seemed to imply it worked with both cameras chinese with english firmware, and english as original.
- one of the suppliers on alibaba for this with 60 odd 5 star comments, and even one comment that said it worked for both chinese with english firmware as well as english orginal (that was a big kicker for me). Of course this can depend what firmware he got delivered.
- The firmware is important.. 3.3.2 is offered by one supplier, and I beleive this has "virtual host" to access camera directly via POE switch ports. I dont know when "virutal host" was first delivered re firmware.
- 3.3.2 has a problem with attaching the photos in the email for an alarm event (problem for me as I use that), and other problem is the notification to the survailance center wasnt working.

For me I'd like a firmware that was working to avoid the time of reloading, bricking, trying to resolve etc.

Thats what I've learnt, but now I need to look at "NI".

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has a quick look at 7808NI-E2/8P and the things that stuck out to me were

- it seems to support only 5Mp camera streaming as opposed to 6Mp for some future proofing
- it doesnt seem to support "Project" level which from what I understand is the "IPC" intelligent functions some of which I'm using like line detection, where someone crosses the line it will alarm.

I'm finding line crossing hardly ever gives flash alarms as opposed to motion which on a sunny - cloudy -sunny- cloudy day there's a ton of emails.

Again it circles me back to 7608N-E2/8P.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Bill, I'm in the same boat. I've also narrowed by selection down to 78xx or 76xx with POE. I've been using 2132 and 2432 cameras from China with english firmware, with SD Cards.

From what I can gather

- 7808N-E2/8P is likely to work across both cameras but this version according to what i've read is supposed to be a China only NVR. Which could means the firmware is not readily avail or you might encounter other issues.

This is swaying me more towards the 76XX being what I thought 7608N-E2/8P, but now you've thrown me a curve ball with the "NI"

- for the Alibaba suppliers I'd narrowed it down to I dont recall a "NI" only the "N" so I'll have to look at that now.
- Someone else commented the "I" was for International. As to what probs if any come with that re China and America cameras I am not sure re language mismatch.

- people here seemed to imply it worked with both cameras chinese with english firmware, and english as original.
- one of the suppliers on alibaba for this with 60 odd 5 star comments, and even one comment that said it worked for both chinese with english firmware as well as english orginal (that was a big kicker for me). Of course this can depend what firmware he got delivered.
- The firmware is important.. 3.3.2 is offered by one supplier, and I beleive this has "virtual host" to access camera directly via POE switch ports. I dont know when "virutal host" was first delivered re firmware.
- 3.3.2 has a problem with attaching the photos in the email for an alarm event (problem for me as I use that), and other problem is the notification to the survailance center wasnt working.

For me I'd like a firmware that was working to avoid the time of reloading, bricking, trying to resolve etc.

I didn't know there was a "N" only version of this model and I was using AliExpress to look for a NVR to buy but haven't decided on one yet because I wasn't sure which is which is there is such an model that support all cameras etc.

Here one with a "NI" - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-Original-NVR-Embedded-Plug-Play-NVR-DS-7604NI-E1-4P-and-DS-7608NI-E2-8P/2044218046.html

And I think you are right, maybe I should go with the "N" model like this one - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-Original-English-NVR-Embedded-Plug-Play-DS-7616N-E2-8P-DS-7608N-E2-8P-8CH/32343146551.html?s=p which seem to have more feature which I might like like the line detection etc. Seem to be cheaper too ...

Thank you for pointing it out ...

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

From what I can gather

Found a list of different model numbers and it's feature

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1285-New-range-of-Hikvision-IP-NVR-s?p=11922&viewfull=1#post11922

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
After more research, it hard to say now and it does look like the "N" only comes in China version but supposedly there a way to enable English on it. I don't know the outcome since there not much post on about it. One thing I would like is the IPC feature and that email motion detect with snapshot work correctly and without a problem. The email is top must have feature on my list.

Bill

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say, I have both a 7608 and a 7832 both easy to use both easy to setup and both run on the same firmwares (7600 Series)
But out of personal choice, I like the 7832 better, and given the fact that I paid 3 times the price of the 7832 (32 channels) for the 7608 (8 channels) I'd say the 7800 series are a winning bargain.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks alastair.

Its funny where things end up the same. Bill one of the links below is the same supplier that Alastair went to.
Those were the two I'd narrowed down. One a 7808 and the other a 7608.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-8CH-PoE-Up-to-6MP-Onvif-Project-level-Network-video-recorder/1984469384.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-POE-8-network-interface-2-SATA-HDD-4TB-each-Up-to/2041537554.html

Its important to ask them what firmware version, AND virtual host. I don't know the answers to virtual host I think that was delivered with a software update but I haven't had that confirmed yet and what update.

chenchen yang
02:12 Jul 21,2015
1: v3.0.8

The chenchen one 7808 is 3.0.8 which I think is old. the other has 3.3.2 with Julia Li.

3.3.2 has a few issues referenced elsewhere on here, alarm emails don't have the embedded photos, and notify survailence where it would push an alarm to the survailance center (your phone) is broken.

My strategy might be to use the SD cards internal for a while till those issues are resolved with a supplier supplied device. The SD on motion and line detection I think I'll get 30 days.

I don't particularly want to muck around with tftp, mtd and all the others stuff , I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old and things are already really busy! I don't need the challenge I just need it to work.
cant talk highly enough of the ds-2132F-IS and 5.2.5 F/W I've had no issues yet and the 3Mp even at 1080p is truly an awesome picture.

Alastair and fenderman are also great in sharing their obviously considerable knowledge, and its much appreciated.

I made a newbie mistake and haven't quite got my "Foam ring" right and got IR light bleed in the dome I hope to fix this weekend. Fenderman pointed that out, and even sent me the link to the technical bulletin.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TechBill PS , the "N" is loaded with English Multilanguage. The trick is to read ALL the feedbacks stars and you'll see its in English as well as one person confirms works with English and Chinese sourced cameras. The one I am looking at has 80+ reviews.

Also ask plenty of questions from supplier. I think ask all the questions you can and then eventually its a little leap of faith to order. Plus the guys provide their experience. Possibly both would work?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am also thinking of getting a NVR wth only one port and connect NVR and all cameras to a POE Switch. I noticed NVR with only one port is lot cheaper than one with 8 POE. 100MPS POE switches are pretty cheap now days and can be connect to my gigabit network.

Decision decision ..lol

Bill

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But what confusing is that it says 8P (I assume 8 ports) however picture is showing only 4 ports on rear.
Certainly the picture does not match either the model number (Model Number: DS-7816N-E2/8P) or the specifications, which are clear enough.
Message the seller and ask some questions.
You order history in Aliexpress holds a snapshot of the product listing at the time of purchase, as potential evidence if when delivered the item was not as advertised.
And the seller does not get paid until you have accepted delivery, the payment is held in escrow.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also thinking of getting a NVR wth only one port and connect NVR and all cameras to a POE Switch
The NVR has a gigabit LAN port, which will be needed if you are going to feed it 8 or more cameras and pull Live View video off it.
Does your 100Mbps PoE switch also have a gigabit uplink port? If so, it would be best to connect NVR and PoE switch uplink to your gigabit core.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR has a gigabit LAN port, which will be needed if you are going to feed it 8 or more cameras and pull Live View video off it.
Does your 100Mbps PoE switch also have a gigabit uplink port? If so, it would be best to connect NVR and PoE switch uplink to your gigabit core.

Which model have the gigabit ports? 76xx or 78xx? Also I look on Hikvision website and didn't see any 78xx model listed on it or support for it. Hrmmm do you know if the 78xx is an older outdated model then? Hard to determine ...

Bill

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which model have the gigabit ports? 76xx or 78xx? Also I look on Hikvision website and didn't see any 78xx model listed on it or support for it. Hrmmm do you know if the 78xx is an older outdated model then? Hard to determine ...

Bill
Re the POE switches and one port NVR, the danger with saving some money is that it can bite you in other areas.

There's something attractive about the Router -> NVR -> POE ports as it effectively isolates the IPCamera traffic between the cameras/ and the NVR onto its own subnet.

Doesnt load the router switching packets, and it can serve the rest of the functions re WiFi, and Netflix, Streaming Video etc.

Other people comment on this in other threads. With the above the only interaction with the router is pulling external video remotely from the NVR, or uploading ipcamera videos etc.

Argueably the traffic is minimal 4-8 cameras X 4Mbps or 8Mbps (depending on resolution) = 32Mbps or 64Mbps. Some ISP Routers only have FastEthernet ports (100Mbps).

For me I'll be trying to isolate the IPCamera network as much as I can from the wider IP applications of WiFi, Netflix, Video Streaming etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re the POE switches and one port NVR, the danger with saving some money is that it can bite you in other areas.

There's something attractive about the Router -> NVR -> POE ports as it effectively isolates the IPCamera traffic between the cameras/ and the NVR onto its own subnet.

Doesnt load the router switching packets, and it can serve the rest of the functions re WiFi, and Netflix, Streaming Video etc.

Other people comment on this in other threads. With the above the only interaction with the router is pulling external video remotely from the NVR, or uploading ipcamera videos etc.

Argueably the traffic is minimal 4-8 cameras X 4Mbps or 8Mbps (depending on resolution) = 32Mbps or 64Mbps. Some ISP Routers only have FastEthernet ports (100Mbps).

For me I'll be trying to isolate the IPCamera network as much as I can from the wider IP applications of WiFi, Netflix, Video Streaming etc.
If you place your NVR on the same switch as the cameras you will accomplish the same thing without the noise of the built in poe ports and direct access to the cameras as well as not having to homerun the cameras to the NVR.

Coheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to this and just purchased the DS-7608NI-E2/8P and to 2132 cameras on Amazon from Netview for $388, it has V3.3.1 build 150422 firmware. It has a toggle to enable virtual host. I cannot get the NVR to recognize the SD cards in the cameras. I can however see both streams in IE and Safari on my Mac. I am waiting on a HDD to install in the NVR. It seems to work fine and I got the camera to alarm and send me emails and pics.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you place your NVR on the same switch as the cameras you will accomplish the same thing without the noise of the built in poe ports and direct access to the cameras as well as not having to homerun the cameras to the NVR.

Yeah I work in field of networking and I knew the benefits of using a switch to connect everything together. It was hard to find a one port Hikvision NVR (well I found one dealer but feedback wasn't that great) so I didn't want to invest 300 dollar and not use the POE on it if I went with the switches.

Bill