Semi Driver vs Power Lines

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Driver got caught on a cable line, snapped a utility pole in half pulling it, and took power away from ~2,100 residents.

Last edited:

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's that camera capturing in that location? ie what need is it filling? Looking down the street, or is there are behaviour it was put in for?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's that camera capturing in that location? ie what need is it filling? Looking down the street, or is there are behaviour it was put in for?
Fills the roll of a perfect license plate camera. Wish I had a way to house a camera at the street like that.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because it sounded like fun and I was building a new mailbox anyway DIY Security Mailbox

It serves no useful purpose. 6 cars drive down my road a day, and they are all my neighbors lol. But someday.. someday..

The cameras have changed from what's in that blog.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It serves no useful purpose. 6 cars drive down my road a day, and they are all my neighbors lol. But someday.. someday..
Haha love it. I'm kind of the opposite, 1,000's of cars drive past my house every day. Being an engineer that seems like a bunch of data I could try to make sense of, but adding a plate camera wouldn't actually do anything useful.

Although combined with a switch on my mailbox, I could probably catch someone stealing my mail. Hasn't happened yet that I know of, but it's always on my mind.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't sound so eager! We'd all be happy if we never had to use our video against someone.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't sound so eager! We'd all be happy if we never had to use our video against someone.
Sorry I meant catching something interesting, not necessarily a crime or someone getting hurt.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The one time my cams captured something interesting my nvr died 2 days later and I never got around to exporting it. A roofer fell off my roof but hung onto the roof with one hand and swung himself down. It was some pretty amazing acrobatics.
I'm curious why that semi was driving through a neighborhood tho, are they even allowed to do that?
That's the kind of stuff I want to capture!

It's a new neighborhood, it might have be a local delivery of appliances or something.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's an excellent angle for license plate capture, for most of us it's hard to put a camera that close to the street. As for "why" someone would do this... in the four years in my current location, if I'd had such a system running 24/7 by now I would have recorded several burglary getaway vehicles. Using a somewhat similar camera angle I did record some prowlers, a tire slashing, and a drive-by shooting (parked car was empty, they just broke the window- a message from a gang, I assume). The latter footage was played at city hall by some neighbors, where it reportedly got some attention. Total traffic here is now about 250 cars per day .

Last edited:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a neighbor with a fake rock to cover irrigation stuff literally right next to the street. Always thought if that were mine, I would mount some license plate cams inside.