Sending IP camera footage to personal webspace

maxfox44

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

This is my first post and I am a complete noob when it comes to CCTV and IP cameras, so I would appreciate you going easy on me.

Here's what I think I want, but please throw me to the wolves if you think this is stupid.

Eventually, I'd like 3-4 outside IP cameras recording the perimeter of my property and ideally being able to view motion detection alerts on my iphone, but also send the footage from the cameras to my unlimited personal cpanel webspace (web disk). I don't want to record to a DVR.

I was thinking in order to test this, I was going buy a cheap indoor ip camera from (fl)ebay to monitor my pet.

Am I mad/deluded or just plain wrong?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That will take a considerable amount of upload speed to pull off.

Why not purchase cams that have SD card capability and record to the internal cards.

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
like looney2ns said you will need a lot of upload speed for your home internet connection

but if cpanel support NFS or SMB you can do that. some hikvision cameras support that. But its really pain in the ass when it comes to playback side. For the alert thing you will need also a camera that can handle that. Mostly without a dvr it works only with email.

Why not purchase cams that have SD card capability and record to the internal cards.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What you 'could' do is to have motion detect or event settings set on your device that email (and ftp the files for the backup) images to you of the event, but do some reading about the 'sensitivity' of motion detect and you will soon realise that the frequency of the emails will become an annoyance very soon.

You are neither mad or deluded, I would guess that 95% of the people on here would love to be able to store all the files on an offsite basis for security, but the technical does not match the requirement, unless you have GB fiber?

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you thinking to just upload images, or video?
I have a single Dahua configured to upload images to an Internet service via ftp upon motion detection, with a 2 second pause between images, and that works like a charm. I'm not sure what my service's upload speeds are supposed to be, but it is Verizon Fios and I've probably got a middle-of-the-road residential package. I'd love to know what will happen to upload performance when doing this with 4 cameras and a 1 second pause between images, as I'm about to set up exactly that, at another location. Until reading the above concerns (which may be for video?) I didn't have any.