IP Cam Talk

Welcome to the new IPCT! If you are having an issue logging in, please clear your cookies / cache.

Sep 2019 - Current State of RTSP Doorbells

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like every other day there is someone asking about the best Blue Iris compatible doorbell for the residential market. I'm writing this thread to share my findings so far comparing the current options. This is a continuation from my post on the DB11 here. Many new doorbell cams were announced at CES this year in January, but most have not hit the market yet or are still incompatible with ONVIF.

(Doorbird is also a viable option since it checks most of the boxes, but I did not include it here as the resolution is low and price point is too high compared to these models).

I'm embedding a few sample videos comparing the hikvision and dahua cams. Both videos are mounted from the same exact location.

Hikvision DB1

Dahua DB11

SUMMARY OF FEATURES & KNOWN ISSUES

Following is a comparison chart based on information and feedback from everyone here. Thanks to all the people who posted information! (I do not own the yousee model, so I've not had a chance to test it). I will try to update with known issues as they are reported or as I find them.

ADVANCED FUNCTIONS/HACKS

Integrating doorbell button notifications to home automation systems

APIs have not been found yet to read doorbell button events, so some users have suggested creative ways to send button press events to other home automation systems. In my case, I'm using a simple relay wired in parallel to the power wires. When the button is pressed, voltage drop causes the relay to be tripped and you can send a simple on/off signal to any custom switch (alarm sensor, zwave switch, etc).

My doorbell install uses DC 12V, so a standard automotive 12V relay such as this one works well, but the concept should be similar for AC powered installs.

Use ONVIF to send PIR events to BlueIris

(Why does this matter? PIR is usually a reliable way of detecting motion, sometimes more accurate than software. In some cases, it may be better to trigger alerts based on the camera's onboard motion detection and send this alert to BI in order to lower false positives)

If you want the doorbell PIR to trigger blueiris, take the following steps in BI. First verify your camera is capable of sending ONVIF streams (not just RTSP). In camera configuration in BI:
  • Instructions for Hikvision models
  • Set Discovery/ONVIF port to 80
  • Set path to /Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1
  • "Get events with PullPointSubscription" must be checked
  • In the camera, go to PTZ/Control tab. Enable PTZ, select Hikvision from the Network IP dropdown.

Sending animated gifs to mobile notifications
This is a more complex subject involving many moving pieces, so I will add this later

Last edited:

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Er... LOL. No. Oops! Thanks for letting me know.
If that were the case, it wouldn't be a very good camera would it?

I'll see if I can upload the videos to youtube or another site.

EDIT: OK. Updated to host videos on vimeo.com instead. Hopefully will work better than the forum media library.

Last edited:

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
These are the options I'm considering:

DB11 (although it has a problem of ringing 10 times for everyone not fixed yet)

skybell hd (just for ease of install/use)

US $72.99 15% OFF|IP Video Intercom 4G Video Door Phone Ring Door Bell Doorbell WiFi Camera Alarm Wireless Security SD Card Camera add 32GB Card-in Video Intercom from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (because its so cheap and has rfid tags for door unlock)

[Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit (someone said there are new versions)

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera (from the review this seems pretty good, also same model is made by hikvision EZVIZ DB1 and DB2(batter version) )

SecuritySeeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also including a comparison chart below based on information and feedback from everyone here. Thanks to all the people who posted feedback! (I do not own the yousee model, so I've not had a chance to test it).
I believe YooSee quotes the fov as angles diagonally (read that somewhere on their website but it may not have been about the SD-M5 specifically). If that is true the horizontal fov would be 145.8 degrees according to this:

The VRguy's Blog: Converting diagonal field of view and aspect ratio to horizontal and vertical field of view

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't include the skybell since it doesn't appear to support RTSP

The second doorbell received poor reviews in the past and has been superseded by the SD-M5. There is an existing thread here on it. The RFID capability is cool, but I'm not sure how it would be integrated.

I did not include intercom systems since they're usually proprietary, but yes, they could work for some people.

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe YooSee quotes the fov as angles diagonally (read that somewhere on their website but it may not have been about the SD-M5 specifically). If that is true the horizontal fov would be 145.8 degrees according to this:

The VRguy's Blog: Converting diagonal field of view and aspect ratio to horizontal and vertical field of view
Ah, good to know. Comparison chart updated. Thanks!

Also added a "known issues" row in the chart to help improve awareness.

SecuritySeeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also added a "known issues" row in the chart to help improve awareness.
Good idea! In that case you might like to add that the YooSee's focus has to be corrected manually. At least that has been the case so far (vandyman and cinnman both reported this).

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow. That's a pretty big deal. Just saw that in the other thread. Updated! Let me know in case I've missed anything else.

SecuritySeeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to your table the EZVIZ DB1 "spec sheet claims to have PIR, but doesn't seem to be true." Are you sure about that? It does appear to have a PIR-like window inbetween the camera and the button. The YooSee spec sheet used to claim it had a PIR but not anymore.

A link to the spec sheet and perhaps webshop for each product would be useful.

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to your table the EZVIZ DB1 "spec sheet claims to have PIR, but doesn't seem to be true." Are you sure about that? It does appear to have a PIR-like window inbetween the camera and the button. The YooSee spec sheet used to claim it had a PIR but not anymore.

A link to the spec sheet and perhaps webshop for each product would be useful.
Good question. The DB1 PIR issue was reported by @Emiks5 here. I have not yet taken the doorbell apart, but was able to verify by running my own tests as well. For me personally, I don't mind since I have a external PIR mounted above the camera triggering notifications, but it could be an issue for others.

Like the suggestion on spec sheets links. Will try to add those.

ruasonid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Still holding out for a good doorbell but will have to buy soon. I definitely need a regular chime. Does wireless above mean the chime is matched to the supplier's doorbell product or would a universal wireless chime work? Ideally I need a chime near the door and a remote chime at the rear of the property.

Would anyone have an opinion on which of these cameras would best stand up to exposure to the weather? The front door has no porch as such and at times takes a beating from rainfall.

SecuritySeeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does wireless above mean the chime is matched to the supplier's doorbell product or would a universal wireless chime work? Ideally I need a chime near the door and a remote chime at the rear of the property.
It's safe to assume you'll need the supplier's doorbell product. I ordered two chimes for my YooSee so I'll try to see if I can get both of them paired to the same doorbell when I get it. I'd rather have two moderate chimes than one very loud one.

Would anyone have an opinion on which of these cameras would best stand up to exposure to the weather? The front door has no porch as such and at times takes a beating from rainfall.
If you can believe the IP ratings of these products they should al perform similar with regard to outdoor weather conditions as they all have '5' as the second digit:

IP Code - Wikipedia

Water jets Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Last edited:

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm far from qualified to verify IP ratings, but I did disassemble the DB11.

It does at least SEEM reasonably protected from water intrusion. There are silicone and rubber gaskets in all the right places.

The intent is to use the chime matched to each doorbell. As far as I can tell, all the chimes appear to work on 433mhz, but no one has yet reported if universal wireless chimes work. Would be neat to test out though.

ruasonid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the DB11 come in silver/black only or are there any color options for the casing?

ruasonid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to go for the DB11 as the least worst option from those currently available.

KPtexan

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually can't really complain too much about my Uniden DB1 (rebranded Hikvision), especially given the price which was on sale for like $45. Here's my recipe: Feed it stable power from a good transformer (I used Nutone C907), use the free August Home "Chime Power Board" on each of your mechanical chimes, put a Wifi extender immediately adjacent to it, install Nelly's latest firmware and use their recommended Guarding Vision phone app, and then use settings for Blue Iris from the DB1 thread on here. I also have a good porch light with automatic sunset/sunrise so it essentially never uses IR. All in all, a pretty stable little device with no monthly subscription cost.

silencery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's close, but between the two doorbells, I would give a SLIGHT edge to the Hikvision. The factory settings for video quality are washed out and a tiny bit worse than the Dahua. However, this can be tuned with iVMS-4200, and the different faceplate options are helpful. It's also worth nothing the Hikvision reports a little higher wifi strength compared to the Dahua when mounted from the same location. It's not a huge difference, but for some environments, this may have some impact.

The vertical vs horizontal viewing angle is also a major factor. You can see from my sample videos above what to expect as they are both mounted from the exact same location. This should probably be the primary consideration for most people and will depend on everyone's individual needs.

Thinking about getting a yousee in order to share a direct comparison, but that's low on the todo list right now. It's the only option on the list which offers a hardwired ethernet option, so that's a huge advantage.

Yes, the old Hikvision doorbell looked solid too, but I did not include it in this comparison since it appears to be out of most channels and more expensive than current models.