Dec 2020 - Comparison of RTSP Doorbells

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update Dec 2020: Cleaned up specs table. Added EZVIZ DB1C. There are also many more options available now compared to back when this thread started. If you have one you'd like to add, PM me along with specs and sample video.

The purpose of this thread is to share my findings comparing RTSP compatible doorbell cam options. Closed-system, or cloud based doorbells are automatically excluded (This is a continuation from my post on the DB11 here to see why). Many new doorbell cams were announced at CES this year (2019) in January, but most have not hit the market yet or are still incompatible with ONVIF. Doorbird is also a viable option for some since it checks most of the boxes for required features, but I did not include it here as the performance is low for the high price point, and there have been several quality complaints.

SUMMARY OF FEATURES
Following is a comparison chart based on information and feedback from everyone here. Thanks to all the people who posted information! This list is meant to compare the models I've tested as best as possible (I do not own the yousee model). I will try to update with known issues as they are reported or as I find them.

Hikvision
DS-KB6003-WIP
Hikvision
DS-HD1 (EZVIZ DB1
)
EZVIZ DB1CDahua
DB11
Yousee
SD-M5
First seenSep 2017Aug 2018 (branded by EZVIZ)June 2020Jul 2018Jul 2019
Spec Resolution12FPS @ 2MP (can be increased with newer firmwares)15FPS @ 3MP (can be changed to 30FPS)15FPS @ 2.4MP25FPS @ 2MP25FPS @ 2MP
Image Sensor1/2.8"1/2.4"1/2.7"1/2.7"
1920x10801536x20481536 x 15361920x10801920x1080
Viewing angle180° Horizontal
96° Vertical
105° Horizontal
180° Vertical
170° Horizontal
170° Vertical
140° Horizontal145.8° Horizontal
Lens1.96mm @ f2.22.2mm @ f2.42.1mm1.9mm3.6mm
WeatherproofIP54IP65IP65IP55IP55
Onboard IR LEDYESYESYESYESYES
Motion DetectionPIRPIRNo PIR. Software AIPIRSoftware
CompresssionH.264H.264 + H.265
MicroSD128GB max128GB max256GB max32GB max128GB max
Network2.4GHz2.4/5GHz2.4/5GHz2.4GHz2.4GHz
POENoNo, but can be DC powered. DC12-24V*No, but can be DC powered. DC12-24V*No, but can be DC powered. DC12-24V*Yes
Works with existing ChimesMech & ElectronicMech & ElectronicMech & ElectronicMech & ElectronicNot supported
Wireless Chime??Sold separatelySold separately
RSTP or ONVIF supportRTSPRTSPRTSPRTSPRTSP
ONVIF for Laview, Hikvision, Nelly's versionsNO ONVIF
Cloud DependentNONONONONO
Price (inc shipping to US)~130-180USD~120-150USD99USD MSRP~130-150USD85USD
API supportLimitedLimitedNoneNoneNone
SIP supportNONONONONO
2 Way AudioIn appIn appIn appIn app/BlueirisIn app
Case colorsWhite/Black/Silver/GreyWhite/Black (RCA) + Brown in some versions.White onlySilverWhite/Black
Angled install bracketsIncluded in Nelly's, LaView, EZVIZ, and RCA versions1 flat, 1 angled bracked includedRING Pro brackets are a close fitRing pro brackets close fit with modification
Advanced config (Windows)Batch Config ToolBatch Config ToolBatch Config ToolDahua Config Tool
Manufacturer PageDS-KB6003-WIPDS-HD1DB1CDB11SD-M5
*DC Power not officially supported

SUBJECTIVE COMPARISONS, FORUM FEEDBACK, & KNOWN ISSUES
Hikvision
DS-KB6003-WIP
Hikvision
DS-HD1 (EZVIZ DB1)
EZVIZ
DB1C
Dahua
DB11
Yousee
SD-M5
Video Quality NotesStock colors overly saturated. A lot of softness in daytime. Focal range seems more narrow compared to conventional lenses.Good color accuracy.Good. Some artifacts
Low Light Performance3/53/53/5
Wifi Signal Strength (When installed in same location. Measured on Unifi AP. Lower is better). Anything below 50 is excellent-36dBm-40dBm-44dBm
Build Quality4/54/53/5
Ease of Install (hardware)Easy. Might require upgraded AC transformer to provide stable power.Easy. Might require upgraded AC transformer to provide stable power.Easy. Might require upgraded AC transformer to provide stable power.
Ease of Install (software)Some reports of pairing problems in appMany users report pairing problems in app. Serial number from QR code doesn't always match. Use manual mode.
Known IssuesRuns very hot!
Spec sheet claims to have PIR, but unclear if it works. Most recent reports from users confirms PIR works
No ONVIF supportSome report mech chimes ring 10 times. Try setting to electronic chime from app.
SD card is supposed to support 64GB, but only works up to 32GB.
May be out of focus from factory. If so, requires doorbell to be disassembled and lens manually adjusted. Reported by vandyman and cinnman. Comes with POE injector. Low FPS (5-10) reported
NotesRebranded as LTS/UnidenRebranded as RCA/LaView/Nellys/EZVIZ/others. Firmwares interchangeable.Also sold as generic unbranded "1080 wireless wifi" doorbell on aliexpress.
Forum Link/ReviewsSweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IRNew RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP CameraReview: EZVIZ DB1CReview-Dahua DB-11 Video Door BellYooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66
New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera
ADVANCED FUNCTIONS/HACKS

Integrating doorbell button notifications to home automation systems

APIs have not been found yet to read doorbell button events, so some users have suggested creative ways to send button press events to other home automation systems. In my case, I'm using a simple relay wired in parallel to the power wires. When the button is pressed, voltage drop causes the relay to be tripped and you can send a simple on/off signal to any custom switch (alarm sensor, zwave switch, etc).

My doorbell install uses DC 12V, so a standard automotive 12V relay such as this one works well, but the concept should be similar for AC powered installs.

SDM5
@whoami ™ came up with a neat workaround by hacking the supported USB chime to trigger a relay. Details in his post (220) in the SDM5 thread. His method is for triggering a doorbell chime, but the same principle can apply to triggering home automation.

Use ONVIF to send PIR events to BlueIris

(Why does this matter? PIR is usually a reliable way of detecting motion, sometimes more accurate than software. In some cases, it may be better to trigger alerts based on the camera's onboard motion detection and send this alert to BI in order to lower false positives)

If you want the doorbell PIR to trigger blueiris, take the following steps in BI. First verify your camera is capable of sending ONVIF streams (not just RTSP). In camera configuration in BI:
  • Instructions for Hikvision models
  • Set Discovery/ONVIF port to 80
  • Set path to /Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1
  • "Get events with PullPointSubscription" must be checked
  • In the camera, go to PTZ/Control tab. Enable PTZ, select Hikvision from the Network IP dropdown.

SAMPLE VIDEOS
(My own videos are mounted from the same exact location, recorded at highest FPS possible for each model, 4096kb bitrate)

Hikvision Gen 1 (DS-KB6003-WIP) credit to @VorlonFrog

Hikvision Gen 2 (DB1)

Dahua (DB11)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Er... LOL. No. Oops! Thanks for letting me know.
If that were the case, it wouldn't be a very good camera would it?

I'll see if I can upload the videos to youtube or another site.

EDIT: OK. Updated to host videos on vimeo.com instead. Hopefully will work better than the forum media library.

Last edited:

RazzMtazz

n3wb
Reaction score
These are the options I'm considering:

DB11 (although it has a problem of ringing 10 times for everyone not fixed yet)

skybell hd (just for ease of install/use)

US $72.99 15% OFF|IP Video Intercom 4G Video Door Phone Ring Door Bell Doorbell WiFi Camera Alarm Wireless Security SD Card Camera add 32GB Card-in Video Intercom from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (because its so cheap and has rfid tags for door unlock)

[Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit (someone said there are new versions)

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera (from the review this seems pretty good, also same model is made by hikvision EZVIZ DB1 and DB2(batter version) )

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm also including a comparison chart below based on information and feedback from everyone here. Thanks to all the people who posted feedback! (I do not own the yousee model, so I've not had a chance to test it).
I believe YooSee quotes the fov as angles diagonally (read that somewhere on their website but it may not have been about the SD-M5 specifically). If that is true the horizontal fov would be 145.8 degrees according to this:

The VRguy's Blog: Converting diagonal field of view and aspect ratio to horizontal and vertical field of view

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't include the skybell since it doesn't appear to support RTSP

The second doorbell received poor reviews in the past and has been superseded by the SD-M5. There is an existing thread here on it. The RFID capability is cool, but I'm not sure how it would be integrated.

I did not include intercom systems since they're usually proprietary, but yes, they could work for some people.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe YooSee quotes the fov as angles diagonally (read that somewhere on their website but it may not have been about the SD-M5 specifically). If that is true the horizontal fov would be 145.8 degrees according to this:

The VRguy's Blog: Converting diagonal field of view and aspect ratio to horizontal and vertical field of view
Ah, good to know. Comparison chart updated. Thanks!

Also added a "known issues" row in the chart to help improve awareness.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow. That's a pretty big deal. Just saw that in the other thread. Updated! Let me know in case I've missed anything else.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to your table the EZVIZ DB1 "spec sheet claims to have PIR, but doesn't seem to be true." Are you sure about that? It does appear to have a PIR-like window inbetween the camera and the button. The YooSee spec sheet used to claim it had a PIR but not anymore.

A link to the spec sheet and perhaps webshop for each product would be useful.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to your table the EZVIZ DB1 "spec sheet claims to have PIR, but doesn't seem to be true." Are you sure about that? It does appear to have a PIR-like window inbetween the camera and the button. The YooSee spec sheet used to claim it had a PIR but not anymore.

A link to the spec sheet and perhaps webshop for each product would be useful.
Good question. The DB1 PIR issue was reported by @Emiks5 here. I have not yet taken the doorbell apart, but was able to verify by running my own tests as well. For me personally, I don't mind since I have a external PIR mounted above the camera triggering notifications, but it could be an issue for others.

Like the suggestion on spec sheets links. Will try to add those.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Still holding out for a good doorbell but will have to buy soon. I definitely need a regular chime. Does wireless above mean the chime is matched to the supplier's doorbell product or would a universal wireless chime work? Ideally I need a chime near the door and a remote chime at the rear of the property.

Would anyone have an opinion on which of these cameras would best stand up to exposure to the weather? The front door has no porch as such and at times takes a beating from rainfall.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does wireless above mean the chime is matched to the supplier's doorbell product or would a universal wireless chime work? Ideally I need a chime near the door and a remote chime at the rear of the property.
It's safe to assume you'll need the supplier's doorbell product. I ordered two chimes for my YooSee so I'll try to see if I can get both of them paired to the same doorbell when I get it. I'd rather have two moderate chimes than one very loud one.

Would anyone have an opinion on which of these cameras would best stand up to exposure to the weather? The front door has no porch as such and at times takes a beating from rainfall.
If you can believe the IP ratings of these products they should al perform similar with regard to outdoor weather conditions as they all have '5' as the second digit:

IP Code - Wikipedia

Water jets Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m

Last edited:

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm far from qualified to verify IP ratings, but I did disassemble the DB11.

It does at least SEEM reasonably protected from water intrusion. There are silicone and rubber gaskets in all the right places.

The intent is to use the chime matched to each doorbell. As far as I can tell, all the chimes appear to work on 433mhz, but no one has yet reported if universal wireless chimes work. Would be neat to test out though.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the DB11 come in silver/black only or are there any color options for the casing?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to go for the DB11 as the least worst option from those currently available.

KPtexan

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually can't really complain too much about my Uniden DB1 (rebranded Hikvision), especially given the price which was on sale for like $45. Here's my recipe: Feed it stable power from a good transformer (I used Nutone C907), use the free August Home "Chime Power Board" on each of your mechanical chimes, put a Wifi extender immediately adjacent to it, install Nelly's latest firmware and use their recommended Guarding Vision phone app, and then use settings for Blue Iris from the DB1 thread on here. I also have a good porch light with automatic sunset/sunrise so it essentially never uses IR. All in all, a pretty stable little device with no monthly subscription cost.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's close, but between the two doorbells, I would give a SLIGHT edge to the Hikvision. The factory settings for video quality are washed out and a tiny bit worse than the Dahua. However, this can be tuned with iVMS-4200, and the different faceplate options are helpful. It's also worth nothing the Hikvision reports a little higher wifi strength compared to the Dahua when mounted from the same location. It's not a huge difference, but for some environments, this may have some impact.

The vertical vs horizontal viewing angle is also a major factor. You can see from my sample videos above what to expect as they are both mounted from the exact same location. This should probably be the primary consideration for most people and will depend on everyone's individual needs.

Thinking about getting a yousee in order to share a direct comparison, but that's low on the todo list right now. It's the only option on the list which offers a hardwired ethernet option, so that's a huge advantage.

Yes, the old Hikvision doorbell looked solid too, but I did not include it in this comparison since it appears to be out of most channels and more expensive than current models.