Server Crash (3 Year Old + $2.45)

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
So my blue iris and plex server suddenly goes offline. As I open the case hearing what sounds like a piggy bank, I discover an assortment of toys, stickers and $2.45 in change. At the same time my 3 year old daughter grabs a penny and shoves it into the back of the computer proudly declaring: "coin machine, like Chuck E Cheese" (an arcade I took her to a few days before).

Has anyone else run into this problem? Or is my child especially precocious?

Here is pic of what I pulled out of the server. Yes, that is a smurf and a crayon. Not pictured is a credit card my wife and I were searching for this weekend. It turns out we did not have to report it stolen. If only we'd known that the day before...

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
My children don't know what Chuck E Cheese is and by the grace of gawd they will NEVER know what that place is. :)

Side note - yes, this is what kids tend to do and not just yours. My wife put our kids in the van the other day in the garage then went back in to get the rest of the bags, she came back out to our 3 year old putting all the change from the holder into the front vents like it was an arcade game...

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Our kids had been putting money in our alarm clock vent which shorted it out.

You may think it only an alarm clock but we are Deaf couple and this alarm clock was not a standard cheapo clock. It a clock designed for Deaf people which flashes the light and vibrate the bed when alarm goes off. It put a nice dent in our wallet buying another one to replace the shorted out ones.

But not to worry, when they reach to an age that they can push a mower. They will doing a lot of mowing on our yard to pay us back for the clock :) Yes I am only kidding about the mowing part, they're making it up by doing dishes for the next 10 years at home. :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Think you need to put a sec camera on over watch of your server .. lol - would have loved to have seen that.

ps - I recall getting into a bit of trouble when I was that age... curiosity is a great thing!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah kids are awesome like this.. yesterday my 6yr old son brought me a completely disassembled watch and asked me to put it back together; when I asked him why he took it apart he responded.. "I wanted to see what was on the inside".. ahh thats my boy, disassembling a watch is not for the faint of heart ;)

One of these days I expect to come home and find all my computers taken apart.. I remember my parents and grandparents gettting together to buy me my first pentium (133Mhz Bitches!) for my birthday; about a month later my mom walks into my room and I have it completely disassembled.. I think I almost gave her a stroke and had to reassure them I could put it all back together and it'd still work.. which it did of course ;)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha. Not a child-proof computer case. I guess. You can get cases with a lockable door in front that covers the power and reset buttons. Of course then you'll lose the key.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Lolol. My grand daughter kept us hopping in this regard with a vcr, back in the day lol. Good luck getting it resolved. You might want to make something with slots that is as attractive or more so for inserting stuff into to redirect their attention from the real thing, lol.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was pretty young when I started taking things apart and fixing things. I could usually put them back together as long as there wasn't a coiled up spring that exploded when I took something apart.
I damaged an old clock radio without inserting anything into it or taking it apart. Simply holding down multiple buttons at once was enough to damage some of the chips inside.

Last week my nephew climbed up on the back of his couch held his tablet over his head, yelled "mommy look" and then threw it down from about 7' in the air on the wood floor destroying it. Then of course he spent the next 6 hours crying hysterically.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My daughter inherited my curiosity and mechanical aptitude.
A friend came over to help me with a wiring project, and he chatted her up. She was ~8 YO
"And who are you?", he asked.
"I'm Kathleen. I'm a member of the 'Take it Apart Club' "
I had never heard her mention that "club" before. But it was fitting!