Server recommendations? 50-64 cameras - some 4pm cameras

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for a really beefy server build recommendation. Preferably something I can purchase from CDWG (School district needs).

We've currently got around 50 cameras (most old axis cameras) and a few newer axis cameras running on a custom built i7-7700k w/16gb ram and 12TB of space. The server is almost always maxed at 99% CPU, and we need to upgrade cameras to higher-res ones soon so I'm sure that's gonna kill it. I keep seeing people pushing CPU's with quicksync, but I'm hesitant that a single i7 or i9 in a work station will give us the platform we're looking for... My research leads me to a xeon 2186g (quicksync) - but I'm not confident that will run 64 higher MP cameras will it?

We took our saved config from our custom built server and moved it to an HP DL380 G9 box with dual xeon E5-2670 (v0's) and it sits at around 44% CPU usage. Those are relatively old CPUs now, but they still cut the work load in half of our i7 7700k CPU. I was looking for anyone with experience to chime in on what a real heavy duty server would look like, cost, and perform like. Is quicksync a better way to save some processing power, or is the multithreaded xeon core count nature more beneficial for a hefty 64cam server?

Most DL380 G10s or G9's have SFF hard drives and make it difficult for local storage without spending gobs of money too - so if a disk shelf is cheaper - I'm all ears for storage methods too.

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a really beefy server build recommendation. Preferably something I can purchase from CDWG (School district needs).

We've currently got around 50 cameras (most old axis cameras) and a few newer axis cameras running on a custom built i7-7700k w/16gb ram and 12TB of space. The server is almost always maxed at 99% CPU, and we need to upgrade cameras to higher-res ones soon so I'm sure that's gonna kill it. I keep seeing people pushing CPU's with quicksync, but I'm hesitant that a single i7 or i9 in a work station will give us the platform we're looking for... My research leads me to a xeon 2186g (quicksync) - but I'm not confident that will run 64 higher MP cameras will it?

We took our saved config from our custom built server and moved it to an HP DL380 G9 box with dual xeon E5-2670 (v0's) and it sits at around 44% CPU usage. Those are relatively old CPUs now, but they still cut the work load in half of our i7 7700k CPU. I was looking for anyone with experience to chime in on what a real heavy duty server would look like, cost, and perform like. Is quicksync a better way to save some processing power, or is the multithreaded xeon core count nature more beneficial for a hefty 64cam server?

Most DL380 G10s or G9's have SFF hard drives and make it difficult for local storage without spending gobs of money too - so if a disk shelf is cheaper - I'm all ears for storage methods too.

Thanks in advance!
For this load and this application you should not be using blue iris. Take a look at DW IPVMS which is the north american version of network optix NXwitness. 70 dollars per camera (less if buying 50 licenses) with lifetime free upgrades to new versions.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman - I always appreciate your input. But what if I HAD to stay with Blue Iris? :)

Blue Iris advertises it can do 64 cams - so what kind of system would I be looking at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman - I always appreciate your input. But what if I HAD to stay with Blue Iris? :)

Blue Iris advertises it can do 64 cams - so what kind of system would I be looking at?
you would be looking at a system that costs more than the licenses for dw ipvms, unless you ran limit decoding and understand the downsides.
Honestly, contact them and get the demo.