Server Status FPS

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Blue Iris.....Help me understand the Server Status window on UI3.....Specifically the FPS meter. I have all my cameras set to 15fps main/sub as well as keyframes. Yet during playback watch the FPS jump to 30? I don't understand where it's getting this information from? I doesn't appear to be recording 30 fps, so why is it playing back video at 30?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The FPS under status in UI3 is showing you how many frames you are receiving from BlueIris.
The frames you are recording are not the same as what you are seeing. With it set at 30 on mine, I will show all of the cameras that have
updated since the last frame was sent out. ( even in a movie, the human eye can't see 60 fps any better then 30fps in most cases.)
My cameras are mainly set between 12 and 15 FPS for recording.

You can set that FPS for what you want, IE. you have a slow internet connection and don't want to hog it all, you can set it down to 5
and the recordings are still sitting at 12-15 FPS.

The king of UI3 is on here often, and can explain more.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The FPS under status in UI3 is showing you how many frames you are receiving from BlueIris.
The frames you are recording are not the same as what you are seeing. With it set at 30 on mine, I will show all of the cameras that have
updated since the last frame was sent out. ( even in a movie, the human eye can't see 60 fps any better then 30fps in most cases.)
My cameras are mainly set between 12 and 15 FPS for recording.

You can set that FPS for what you want, IE. you have a slow internet connection and don't want to hog it all, you can set it down to 5
and the recordings are still sitting at 12-15 FPS.

The king of UI3 is on here often, and can explain more.
Thanks I appreciate the explanation...Is this a setting in UI3 or BI? I adjusted the streaming profile I use (1080p VBR) to Frame Rate of 15 but it still shows 30 FPS being deliver in the Server Status window.

I'm trying to narrow down why my recording are so choppy before I make the leap and purchase a license....On another note, I've read that the demo version does not support Direct to Disk recording, yet I have it enabled, do you happen to know if this is the case?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
On the UI3 screen, click the gear just to the right of the group of cameras you are viewing.
It;s in the upper right.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Adjust the F/ps in the Blue iris console. Looking at the console, there's a gear icon to the left of the camera display groupings on the right side. Left click that and the streaming F/ps is right there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of quirks with frame rate.

First thing to understand is the "FPS" meter under server status is actually more of a "client status" but it isn't labeled as such (minor design flaw). It shows the frame rate that is was received from Blue Iris during the last 1 second.

When live viewing a camera group, the video stream that Blue Iris sends can exceed the frame rate of the actual video being shown. Depends on the "Default max FPS" setting from BI's group settings panel:

(this screenshot is a bit outdated but mostly accurate still)

When viewing recorded video on the Timeline tab, I believe Blue Iris just blindly targets 30 FPS (unless specifically requested to use a lower frame rate).

In UI3's streaming profile editor you can set a different FPS limit. This is intended for low-resource clients to be able to pull a lower frame rate than they would otherwise get, for performance reasons (and it isn't commonly used). It does still work perfectly as far as I can tell so I don't know why it gave you trouble.

Blue Iris users can be configured (via Blue Iris Settings > Users) to be limited to a particular max frame rate. This is also for performance reasons and is not normally used.

I don't know what the other guys are talking about:

On the UI3 screen, click the gear just to the right of the group of cameras you are viewing.
It;s in the upper right.
Adjust the F/ps in the Blue iris console. Looking at the console, there's a gear icon to the left of the camera display groupings on the right side. Left click that and the streaming F/ps is right there.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate everyone's feedback and I was able to dial down the FPS on the client side. Although as suspected it didn't make much impact on the 'choppiness' of the playback and recordings. The more I think about it, the demo version can't be utilizing Direct to Disk recording even though the option to select it is available. Otherwise the watermark would not hardcoded into the recordings, right?