Servicing systems

JustJim

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all new guy here.
My question is this, why am I seeing such a ridiculously high return for service tickets coming across my desk? Ive installed DVRs and NVRs for a few years now but ever since dalhua and Hikvision have come around it seems like my phone rings two to three times a day about these things.. Doorbells have become my hated enemy, and the cams do not seem to operate well on baluns at ALL. If you were me would you ditch those two brands for something more reliable and what would you recommend?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
in my case, I always recommend and install Dahua security systems. In my experience, most of the problems are related to power outages. I always install a UPS (cable/network surge included) and even protect the NVR network connector. Are you the technician in charge of the repairs? Could you please explain what issues you mostly encounter with those brands?

JustJim

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm the installation manager at my company, I personally have never installed dalhua products.
Some of thr issues Ive nailed down fine like motion issues not completely recording etcc.
But I get ALOT of calls about the doorbells and the app, aslo the cameras dont seem to like baluns at all.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua has some quirks, sure, but are an excellent camera once you know your way around them. Those and Hikvision are the predominant camera on this forum.

When you say "doorbells" which models? Most of the Ring, Nest, etc.. are shit. I've actually not found a good PoE doorbell at all. Dahua does have one out but it too big and bulky for home needs.

Are you using brand specific baluns (e.g. Dahua baluns with Dahua camers) or just using any aftermarket balun you can find?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like you are having issues with the CVI and TVI systems you are running over ethernet and using baluns. Likely cheap cable or baluns...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are they trying to use POE cameras with baluns? I don't think that works for any POE camera that are IP cameras...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
be specific, provide network diagrams, all manufactures and part numbers.
Most of the problems I see with Dahua and Hikvision cameras are poor installs, and poor configurations.
In my opinion, most door bells are trying to do to much with to little. Door bells are at the bottom of the consumer chain, junk.

JustJim

n3wb
Reaction score
I just took this mess over, I have had my suspicions about the wire as its the cheapest genesis cable they supply. Everything we buy is pretty much bargain basement ADI equipment.
I thank you all for the responses and dont immediately have answers to all the questio s.

JustJim

n3wb
Reaction score
When you say "doorbells" which models? Most of the Ring, Nest, etc.. are shit. I've actually not found a good PoE doorbell at all. Dahua does have one out but it too big and bulky for home needs.
Mostly skybells FROM resideo not the skybell or alarm.com produced models, not alot of problems with them other than connecting them Total Connect 2. The Dahua doorbell we install is what I get calls about the most, ppl just arent happy with their performance almost immediately after installation.(i will grt back on model numbers.)

JustJim

n3wb
Reaction score
Mostly skybells FROM resideo not the skybell or alarm.com produced models, not alot of problems with them other than connecting them Total Connect 2. The Dahua doorbell we install is what I get calls about the most, ppl just arent happy with their performance almost immediately after installation.(i will grt back on model numbers.)
Dh1db11

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Wifi anything is going to be a bastard since most people have terrible wifi coverage in their homes to begin with. Especially if they aren't using a dedicated AP installed on the ceiling (think Unifi) and are instead using the typical built-in Wifi of their router which is probably shoved under a desk in a corner of the house somewhere. Add those issues to trying to use a wifi device outside the home through insulated walls and the problem is exasperated.

That's what I'm saying about all door bell cams just kinda sucking right now. I've not found any that are PoE. All seem to be wireless and will only really work well enough if in close proximity to the AP.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The creation and use of baluns was and is a band aid solution for the lazy. Coaxial cable exists for a reason as does Ethernet cabling.

Each one was designed for a purpose. The problem is man decided to repurpose these cables like they did for telephone:

DSL . . .

Than the cable companies pushed for deregulation so they could get a larger slice of the pie: TV, Phone, Internet

Than Ma Bell said FTS we need to make up for the losses and went from telephone to: Internet & TV

At this point you have tens of millions of homes with old ass wiring. The average person isn’t going to rip out existing wiring infrastructure and thus the media converter market was born!

Now, don’t get me wrong some of the technology that allows existing cable to run audio / video / data is truly epic. But again there are specific cable for the purpose as it has been designed to provide the expected and consistent performance as intended.

In between this new age of media converters you literally see (at least I do) in the field are people using the cheapest (same concept) say a balun from the lowest priced vendor!

When you couple this with $.90 siamese cable that uses CCA, 26-28 AWG internal wiring the current draw / voltage drop is too large to sustain over the long run and hence erratic performance and ultimately a hardware failure at the end point or supply chain.

This doesn’t even address following proper distance limits, quality termination points, and water tight glands.

I haven’t even touched upon proper wire routing and type of cable. Yet every day we see cable teetering on breaking open or about to short out causing a raging fire.

Every time I see more than 50 feet of cable all coiled up and not cut to length hanging in the rafters or ceilings I just shake my head.

These are the same people who take a legitimate media converter say a POE splitter buy purchase long dick dongs cheapest on AliExpress for $2.00 and wonder WTF as to why things don’t work or over the long term.

Your a cheap asshole that’s why . . .

Now, don’t get me wrong if everyone was made of money all of us could buy the best and never have to worry about stuff.

Wrong . . .

Because I’ve worked on hundred million dollar projects and the GC was a stupid twat and substituted hardware and cabling hoping to gain more profit.

Obviously this sort of thing isn’t that common but trust me the industry like any other likes their kickbacks, over charge, extra bill, and half ass something when they can.

The days of a hand shake and a persons word is long gone in 2021. The only thing that keeps these people honest is the courts, jail, and monetary losses.

Back in the day I thought what are the odds people will try to fuck with the government?!? Sadly, this sort of thing happens daily in some form no matter how small.

Regardless, nobody serious uses existing wiring unless a dozen caveats are met or stipulated in writing. As the OP has stated he now owns a bag of shit because all they did was install a door bell!

Nine times out of ten your going to see clowns are us use the existing transformer that came with that 1970 door bell.

How and why would you expect a low amperage transformer provide enough current to operate a power hungry door cam that is asked to operate in the extreme hot & cold while recording 24-7-365?!?

I’ve yet to see a single person ohm out the resistance of the existing bell wire and and also measure the voltage with a DMM. Never mind cutting back a 1/4” of wire to expose and use (clean copper) wire for the install.

Don’t even ask if they bothered to put a dab of dielectric grease to promote connectivity and reduce moisture.

None of this even addresses the fact unless you invested in good network hardware and tested your WiFi. How in Gods green earth do you expect to see reliable connectivity on a door cam when said router is from Bobs ISP in the basement 50 feet away, two floors down, covered by shirts and socks???

The fact you never see a homeowner much less a tech complete a site check to validate the environment is quite telling.

If your going to install any WiFi device how about you wip put your freaking phone to see how the reception is!! That’s just a basic test because it’s not a true test because your going to find that new shiny door bell toy literally has the worst wifi hardware inside!

So based on the site audit you have what?? A great opportunity to up sell anything from a repeater, Access Point, to an entire mesh router!

Genius . . .

All of this avoids repeat visits, support calls, and endless removals.

Most of the time you can give Joe Public a pass because they are ignorant and hired you the Pro to advise, suggest, and install. So if Pro Bob hasn’t used any common sense and follows best practices these are things you will have to suffer.

End of Line . . .

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all new guy here.
My question is this, why am I seeing such a ridiculously high return for service tickets coming across my desk? Ive installed DVRs and NVRs for a few years now but ever since dalhua and Hikvision have come around it seems like my phone rings two to three times a day about these things.. Doorbells have become my hated enemy, and the cams do not seem to operate well on baluns at ALL. If you were me would you ditch those two brands for something more reliable and what would you recommend?
Hi Justjim,

From my personal experience, poor cabling / termination and sh1t hardware contributes to about 80% of issues whereby users contact me for problems. And the most common one is a sh1t installer who doesn't know what they are doing and install cameras with poor waterproofing and lack the ability to terminate a rj45 connection...

I went to visit somebody not long ago whereby most of the cameras hadn't been correctly waterproofed and black electric tape was the solution :banghead:
Not saying you are like this but customers always quote their local supermarket has 4 cameras and a recorder plus all the cables for $250...I always tell them go with that, find an installer as I could never match anywhere near that price for that sh1t.. But I warn them "Buy sh1t, buy twice!"

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran some cat5e to a CVI/AHD camera with a balun setup as an experiemnt. Thinking I'm pulling for a future IP NVR- Ip cam. The picture has secondary shadow outline of everything. It has picked up signal noise from something on it's path to the outside. Tried different Baluns. same image. lesson learned.