Setting up email alerts on HikVision NVR

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently bought and setup my HikVision NVR with 4 IP cameras. I am able to access the cameras on my home network and remotely on my phone over 3G / 4G. However, I am having a difficult time trying to get the NVR to send email notifications when it detects motion.

Currently under Configuration > Network > Email, i have the below settings:

Enable Server Authentication: YES
Username: my email address - i have tried @outlook.com and @gmail.com accounts
Passwords: password on email address
SMTP server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
SMTP port: i have tried 587, 25 and 465
Sender: HikVision
Sender's Address: email address specified in Username
Receiver: my name
Receive's address: my email address
Enable attach picture: Ticked
Interval: 5s

When I hit Apply and Test i get the following error: "Failed to send test email, please check the parameters or network status".

I am not sure what the problem is here. I have tried gmail and outlook account, double checked my username, password and smtp server details but no luck. Is anyone able to help?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It will not work if you don't set the DNS server address, primary and secondary. Go with 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. Make sure you create a new Gmail account just for nvr. Name it whatever you want.

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
It will not work if you don't set the DNS server address, primary and secondary. Go with 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. Make sure you create a new Gmail account just for nvr. Name it whatever you want.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried this already but with no luck. I suspect it is related to the below:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7812-Hikvision-DS-7608NI-E2-w-firmware-v3-4-not-sending-email-alerts

I currently have NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A which is on firmware V4.3.0, Build 151103. I have downloaded the below:

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/76 77 96 NI-I/V3.4.2 build160205 Multi-lingual/

but when putting it on a USB and plugging it into my NVR, i follow Menu > Maintenance > Upgrade and select the file, and when installing I get the error "Upgrade failed, firmware mismatches". My NVR is in english and was bought from the UK and not China. Any help?

NFS

n3wb
Reaction score
Ignore the previous post. I have upgraded the firmware successfully to 3.4.2 and emails are working now!

Reaction score
I had to set the SMTP server to the actual IP address to get this working finally, apparently DNS and DHCP are still buggy for some reason on the DS-7604NI-E1 with V3.3.6 Build 151229

Also the less secure apps setting is disabled in the gmail account.

smtp.gmail.com = 74.125.68.108