Setting up Hikvision camera for offline recording.

Patrick E.

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using several 8MP Hikvision ColorVu cameras to do biodiversity field research in the forests of the mountains of Western North Carolina. These cameras (DS-2CD2087G2-LU) are able to record beautiful color footage in very low light situations, which is exactly what I need to be able to do. So far, my setup has been: camera, connected to tp-link router, POE adapter connected to AC power bank, laptop connected to router, Verizon Jetpack wireless broadband modem for internet connection, and two portable AC power banks. And I've been using the Hikvision SADP tool to launch the camera, then, in the Live View browser tab, I've edited the camera's configuration and controlled its recording. This has worked well for me. Now, I need go and record in more remote areas of the forest, where there in no cell service and no internet access. So, I need to set up everything to be able to record to the camera's memory card, or to my laptop's hard drive. This seems to be something that is fairly simple to do, but I haven't found any clear and accurate instructions on how to do this, anywhere online. I'm confident that someone reading this message will know exactly how to do this, and/or exactly where I can find the instructions for doing reconfiguring my setup. FOOTNOTE: I don't know if I need to do anything with Hikvision's "Hik-connect" service to do what I want to do, but I went ahead and setup a Hik-connect account just in case I did. But, when I tried to add my cameras to the account by typing in the serial number and clicking "Search", I get a red error message that says, "This device cannot be added." FYI: I bought my cameras from B&H Photo/NY.