Setting up HIKVISION NVR to IPCamera over LAN

TechChickO

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings everyone.
I am relatively new to the CCTV System business, and I am encountering quiet a snag along the way.

Here it is:
I have a 16 channel NVR - hikvision nvr ds-7732n-e4
and over an assortment of hikvision Ip camera's , e.g. bullet, dome, fish eye, and hey are a mix of indoor and outdoor. All the camera's are suppose to connect to the NVR though UTP cable with POE on each.

BUT - I have more than 16 camera's -( even if i specifically requested a 32 channel nvr I still got sent a 16 chanel one), and the camera's are installed over an array of locations. Which means that some will be over 100m distance from the NVR.
I understand - theoretically - that I can connect the camera's to a poe switch and then connect the switch to the NVR.
ALSO - I have sniffed around on the NVR and there is an option where I can manually add ports, but even if I do that it does not discover the camera's over the switch.

So, What I want to know is how to let the NVR recognize camera's connected to an external switch on the same LAN. Is there a setting or a route I need to add to the switches to pass the connection along?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chicko~

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a 32 channel NVR, with no PoE ports.

So, What I want to know is how to let the NVR recognize camera's connected to an external switch on the same LAN. Is there a setting or a route I need to add to the switches to pass the connection along?
For when the cameras are somewhere on the LAN, connected to a PoE switch (your NVR model number and text suggests the NVR does not have its own PoE ports) :
You need to do nothing more than set known, fixed IP address on the cameras, in the same address range as that of the NVR LAN port, which is presumably in your normal LAN range, and manually add and configure the cameras in the NVR 'Camera configuration' with those IP addresses.
Unlike when cameras are connected to NVR PoE ports, where the NVR would be managing the cameras network configuration, when the cameras are on the LAN you need to set their network configuration yourself.
An excellent tool to do that is SADP. It will find the cameras on the LAN even if their initial IP address is on a different range, it will allow you to 'Activate' the cameras, and to set your desired fixed IP address on them.
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 16 channel no-poe Hik NVR. It was a bit of a challenge getting it set up initially. I'm admittedly doing things the hard way using both NICs on the NVR to place the cameras on their own isolated subnet. If you use just one NIC on the NVR and have the cameras on you main network, as suggested in the post above, there are less network hassles to contend with. The two main things I have to offer are: (1) The NVR's NIC and the cameras all have to be on the same subnet. You can assign static IP addresses or let them use DHCP. DHCP is easier initially, but then you'll always be chasing after changing IP assignments, so static is IMO the way to go. and (2) Make sure the camera you're setting up has power. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the easy things. If you want to use the NVR or camera web interface, your computer must be on the same subnet. If the cameras are on a different subnet, you have to temporarily change your computer's subnet to reach them. If you reach the NVR on one subnet and the cameras are on another, you can use the NVR's Virtual Host feature to reach them without changing the computer's subnet setting.

When you connect cameras that aren't on an internal POE switch, you're going to have to gain some network expertise whether you want to or not!

TechChickO

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear alastairstevenson,

Than you for your reply.
Allow me to elaborate.
My NVR has 16 channel POE (Physically) + 16 port manually added port that can be added through custom adding.
Since I have more than 16 POE camera's, I had to purchase X2 POE to connect the remaining camera's to through the LAN.

The NVR is connected to LAN through NIC = 172.19.26.114
Internal Ip address of NVR = 192.168.254.1

Below is a picture that can better explain the process:
upload_2016-11-29_9-47-27.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a standard arrangement.
But what you have not shown are the IP addresses of the cameras on the 2 8-port PoE switches.
These must be set to match your main LAN, on network 172.19.26.0
What's the problem?
You have a 32 channel NVR and 24 cameras all able to be access by the NVR.

TechChickO

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I'll try that. What IP address would the two 8-port POE switches be on?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean the cameras connected to the 8-port PoE switches? Switches generally don't have IP addresses assigned, unless they are managed switches where you need to access a management interface.
But what you have not shown are the IP addresses of the cameras on the 2 8-port PoE switches.

TechChickO

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for the assist you have provided. I have managed to put the two 8 port switches online and to connect the Ip camera's to them; they are streaming!
I just need to regulate the bitrate because sometimes the live view doesn't work. Any recommendation?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, well done for getting there!
On the bitrate - if that's the cause of the Live View glitches - you might want to mix and match based on the significance of the area each camera is covering.
I'd start at 4096Mbps as a base and work up, focusing on the ones you think are most important.

Reaction score
That looks like a standard arrangement.
What's the problem?
You have a 32 channel NVR and 24 cameras all able to be access by the NVR.
Thank you Brothers for this piece of information I was Stock Today with such Issue but I will give it a try