Setting up ip Camera "Not" to use internet on BlueIris

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so this is probably a very basic question that if I could just think through I would get the answer myself... however, I've hit a mental wall...

So I have all my IP cameras coming into a separate switch/router and then a line to my computer from same router, some of my cameras are wifi and come in via outdoor APS. My internet goes to the same router from a separate modem/router DSL.

I have 4 outdoor APs that I do NOT want to broadcast internet service. I do use BlueIris and use the webservice to view from work and so on.

How to I NOT allow the internet to go out over the APs... Reasoning is I don't want to slow down my internal APs.

Do I change the APs to something else? I've tried a few things, just every time I disconnect my internet service from the router I lose cameras on my computer and that is with all the cameras connected directly to the same router as the computer.

Sorry I rambled.

Thank you in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The internet will not go to the AP as none of the devices are requesting the internet. This is request response.

I am having a hard time visualizing you layout. A diagram would be nice.

I am assuming that the access points (AP) are hardwired into the network.

The main router should have only two hardwired connections. One to the modem and one to a switch. Nothing goes to the router unless it is in/outbound from/to the internet. No pass through on the router. Everything else is connected to the switch.

If you have a router that can block MAC addresses, block all camera mac addresses, so they will not call home.

If the access points are for cameras only, create a second SID and assign the wireless cameras to that SID.

On multiple access points have them assigned to different 2.4 channels (1,6,11)

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Attached is a pic. I pretty much follow your info above appreciate your time to respond. APs are hardwired and go to -Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, with only one wire going to the router (DSL) and one wire from -Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch going to computer.

Not sure why when I disconnect the wire from the DSL to Switch I lose my camera video and that is locally.

Thanks

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why you would loose the cameras if the router is disconnected.

Are the cameras, PC, and access point, have static IP address assigned .

Could be caused by needing dns or DHCP. I do not use either in the cameras.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All static, been running for 5 years or so and decided to run a single dedicated 2.4 and 5 Gz AP for family to use so I hid all the SSIDs except the family one.

Let me try a few more things!!

Thanks for giving me some thoughtful information.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where are you getting the time for the cameras. Have you disable DHCP and dns on the cameras.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I manually set the time or it comes from computer. DHCP is off, DNS is set to the DSL modem. 192.168.0.1

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why when I disconnect the wire from the DSL to Switch I lose my camera video and that is locally.
The way I interpret what you wrote, it doesn't match your drawing.
So I have all my IP cameras coming into a separate switch/router and then a line to my computer from same router, some of my cameras are wifi and come in via outdoor APS. My internet goes to the same router from a separate modem/router DSL.

I have 4 outdoor APs that I do NOT want to broadcast internet service.
What you described is this:
upload_2018-12-30_15-36-49.png

Is your switch managed or unmanaged?

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to accomplish with your access points.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unmanaged, I wanted to keep the internet off the APs and still have BI use it’s webservice, stream the video out.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let me swap the cable from the switch to the DSL Router and see if BI see the cameras.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In your write up you seem to indicate that you have two routers. Your drawing does not reference that. How do you know if the wireless cameras are connected to what AP, if the AP do not have seperate SIDs ?

Please provide a complete network diagram with !P address of all devices. Also the diagram must be a JPG so it does not need to be down loaded to view.

Look at the router log to see what devices are accessing the internet. Not just accessing the router.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
APs all have SIDs. They are hidden But the camera scans were able to see them when I had them on, so they still see them. Just to throw more in, a couple units are using client bridges. All equipment other than cameras are Engenius units talking to each other.

All cameras can be managed, no issues there. The issue is not wanting internet going over APs and making sure BI can send over internet.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I probably should say modem and switch and not router.
Your description of your overall network, tells me there's a lot of basic networking concepts that you don't really understand.
This is why I suggested a playlist of some very good youtube videos on the subject.

Blocking your outdoor access points from accessing the internet wouldn't have any impact on the speeds from your indoor ap(s).
There are certainly reasons you may want to block your cameras from the internet, but this isn't one of them.

Can you make a more complete diagram of your network including all access points and cameras with model numbers?
Try using a tool like
Flowchart Maker & Online Diagram Software
Online Diagram Software & Visual Solution | Lucidchart
UML Diagram Tool | How to Make UML Diagrams Online | Gliffy
Dia
yEd Live or yEd Graph Editor
Diagram Designer

P.S. If you want to be technical about it, "DSL Modems" are almost always gateways (combination of modem and router)

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and yes "(If you want to be technical about it, "DSL Modems" are almost always gateways (combination of modem and router)" I didn't have enough ports so I installed an unmanaged Gigabit Switch to add more ports to plug in all my external hardware. So pretty simplistic of a setup that I was trying to easily manage that I didn't obviously describe correctly.

My thoughts are having the cameras streaming/running all the time on the same AP devices that the internet was running was bottlenecking the input/output of the APs. Therefore when I wanted to watch Netflix/Plex/Facetime I didn't want to have to turn the cameras off to get enough bandwidth to stream other options. So I was trying to separate the two and probably still am not describing my situation well.

For now I think with the info that you have provided and the videos on YouTube made my setup more understandable (BASIC), as well as Southern Yankee, I think I have gleamed a new perspective on my whole setup.

Thanks for taking the time you square me away

Happy New Years