Setting up IVS tripwire...

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to get the tripwire functionality on my camera working. I'm recording to the NVR.

On my NVR I set to record when IVS events occur:

On the camera I setup the tripwire:

However, I never get anything recording. Am I missing something here?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I toggled it off and on again to see if that helps.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the NVR display the IVS rules, or just the cam gui?
You may need to check the box for "Display the Intelligent Rules""
upload_2017-3-7_18-5-42.png

IIRC, the NVR ui (direct connect, not browser) has a ceheckbox to enable IVS in the NVR.
I do remember it was hard to find, in a non-intuitive location....

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NVR view of the IVS doesn't seem to work....

I've also got the System --> Display --> IVS Rules on.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Toggling the IVS setting seems to have made it work now. Okay, that's good to know. :)

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may need to use the native NVR ui
Monitor & mouse connected to nvr
That's a good idea; this is the one thing I don't like about having the NVR up in a closet. A pain to use the native UI. I'm tempted to mount a monitor on the wall outside the closet, but then it kinda gives away the location of the NVR.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm loving the IVS tripwire. My driveway camera sees a lot of cars going by on the street. Motion detection would almost always trigger from headlights casting on to the driveway. The IVS tripwire shows only the events where someone or something crosses onto the driveway.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to get the tripwire functionality on my camera working. I'm recording to the NVR.

On my NVR I set to record when IVS events occur:

On the camera I setup the tripwire:

However, I never get anything recording. Am I missing something here?
Looks like you're recording 24X7. What are you expecting the tripwire to do?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like you're recording 24X7. What are you expecting the tripwire to do?

I want 24/7 recording but I also want markers indicating that something happened. This way if my auto recording parameters aren't set up right I can still scan my footage to find an event.

Or if something happened to a neighbor's house I could scan footage for a suspect car or something.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Now that you've got the tripwire working, which NVR do you have and are you seeing frames dropped when there's an IVS event?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that you've got the tripwire working, which NVR do you have and are you seeing frames dropped when there's an IVS event?
I'm using the NVR5216-4KS2 (no Poe inbuilt).

I will take a look at the continual footage tonight and let you know.

I actually wish I could have the tripwire pre-record as well but I'm not super concerned as I record 24/7.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want 24/7 recording but I also want markers indicating that something happened. This way if my auto recording parameters aren't set up right I can still scan my footage to find an event.

Or if something happened to a neighbor's house I could scan footage for a suspect car or something.

I dont know if i get ivs indicators on my NVR but i believe i do through smartpss. I

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I have skipped frames when IVS detects an event.
Never hunted it down. Some report that it depends how you view the recorded video (Smart PSS, browser to NVR ui, or from the NVR ui using a monitor)
It's just a few frames for me. Others report losing more footage....

See these posts:
Dahua NVRs motion record with scheduled record skips frames
Dahua NVR 5216 - trip wire & SMS problems

Do a search restricted to just ipcamtalk.com using google. Enter this in the search bar;
missing frames, ivs, site:ipcamtalk.com
skipped frames, ivs, site:ipcamtalk.com

Even if recording 24/7, the skipped frames occur. I'm curious about some "events" that trips IVS in the wee hours. I think it's a bat, but it seems to be flying too slow. Or it's a gigormous moth. This "event" is very short. The skipped frames means I lose those crucial footage. The "subject" flies into view, crosses the IVS tripwire, and then it's 10 ft from the tripwire and leaving the FOV.

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you really loosing data or is your client just making it appear that way? I can export full clips that playback w/no dropped frames when played locally.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like nayr any minor glitches on playback are not visible when I export the video.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My 5208-8P-4KS2 is doing the same thing with a tripwire set up on a HDBW5231R-Z. I get the flag, but when I play the incident, I see the tripwire and then the (car for this example) is parked. I'd say it's about 2-3 seconds of missing frames.

I have not tried to export it yet to see if it's the same.

SD

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the data from nitpicking one IVS trigger. Recording is at 10 FPS, iframe interval 10:

SmartPss local playback : 24 frames lost
SmartPss exported file: 24 frames lost

Web interface local playback: 8 frames lost, 1 good frame, 15 frames lost
Web interface exported file: 15 frames lost

Local monitor playback: About 2 seconds lost, single step cleanly skips over lost frames preventing exact count
Local monitor export: didn't try it

Looks like several of us have the same nvr (5216-4ks2), with the same firmware ( 3.210.0002.2, Build Date: 07-21-2016), and get a different result. There's probably some explanation, but I sure don't see it. I'm using a WD purple 3 TB disk. If there's some configuration setting that affects this, I don't see that either. I had hoped to either fix this or get it established as a bug. I better repeat the setup: This is with continuous recording and IVS recording enabled, where the nvr starts a new file on the ivs trigger. Maybe it's time to just accept it and move on.