Setup Validation

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
Long time reader but I have never pulled the trigger for my home setup.
My wife and I just bought a small cabin which we are planning to rent.
This cabin has no back doors or windows, so I’m interested in covering what is going on in the front(driveway), porch and the sides.

I “think” that I can cover my needs with 4 cameras
  • 2 pointing to each sides
  • 1 pointing to the front door and porch
  • 1 pointing to the driveway

Plan:
  • Buy 1 varifocal camera and use it to calculate fov for the rest (HDW2231R-ZS)
  • Buy 3 (IPC-T2431T-AS) in either 2.8 or 3.6 depending on the initial tests.
  • Optiplex 3020 (i5-4590) with BlueIris. This pc has 16gb but I’m also planning to run a hyper-v and a vm with HomeAssistant and a few other containers for automation.
  • I haven’t decided on the switch yet but I’m considering the ubiquiti us-8-60w or the netgear gs108pp.

I would need to run the ethernet cables externally (walls and crawling space) considering solid copper cat6 on either metallic or pvc conduit.
I have looked at outdoor rated ethernet cables but I like running the cables inside a conduit for added protection from the elements.

Questions:
  • I also have a Core 2 Duo Optiplex 780, it is a smaller pc USFF (and on this small cabin smaller is better) but I’m not sure it will cut it for the 4 cameras. Thoughts?
  • Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

RR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Questions:
  • I also have a Core 2 Duo Optiplex 780, it is a smaller pc USFF (and on this small cabin smaller is better) but I’m not sure it will cut it for the 4 cameras. Thoughts?
  • Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

RR
Hi RR

Optiplex 780... I'd think that would be a challenge based on what others have been sharing.

If you already have it, perhaps testing it out would be good if you have some time. Otherwise, look for something with more horse power..

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi RR

Optiplex 780... I'd think that would be a challenge based on what others have been sharing.

If you already have it, perhaps testing it out would be good if you have some time. Otherwise, look for something with more horse power..
Yeah, that is what I thought.
I have both computers, I think I’m going to play it safe and go with the i5.
thanks!