Shall I update from 4.4.9.2 ?

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a stable version 4.4.9.2 and Intel quicksync driver without the memory leak.

Is there a changelog with all changed/fixes per update or can you advise if it worth updating to latest? i care for performance/tuning/availability fixes/enhancements and not new features.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No there is an issues with .5... Never update just because..

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Trying again:

Ken just recommended a latest stable release in terms of performance issues and mainly issue i have with camera patrol alert sound but not switching to relevant triggered camera (android).

I already downloaded 4.4.9.2 update in hand for roll back which i will run that exe on top of 4.5.5.1 in case needed, hope rollback will work ok.

Any known performance and stability issues with 4.5.5.1 ?
any known issues with "run older update exe file as rollback" ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I am by no means a Blue Iris Problems Codex, there are two possible issues I'm aware of with 4.5.5.1. It may make some cameras unstable, though this hasn't happened to me personally. And it may be assigning too high of a resolution to group views, causing the Android app to crash when attempting to view them. It is unclear to me if either of these things are true or if they are only suspicions at this point.

Running an older update.exe file usually performs a complete rollback. On rare occasion, an update cannot be reverted completely because it changed a different file that previous updates did not, so the old update files don't have a copy of the previous version. And sometimes there can be a change to how Blue Iris stores its registry setting for something, causing particular settings to be lost when reverting, unless you have a registry backup that you can restore from.

A while ago I built a tool to ease some of the common update/rollback issues. This tool automatically backs up every update.exe file and Blue Iris's registry settings. It isn't 100% foolproof (like saving an image/snapshot of your entire disk would be) but it is at least a safety net to allow you to run updates a little more carefree. Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before doing any update, I...

- Export all BI camera settings (if not already exported).
- Export BI Settings (if not already exported).
- Backup all .reg (exported files) in the BI 'Program Files" folder, to a backup folder.
- Using the Registry Editor, Export the following 'Perspective Software' branches...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Perspective Software]
Export them to the same backup folder you copied the files too in the above steps.

If you need to downgrade, re-install.. Uninstall BI completely, reinstall, copy the camera & BI reg files in to BI 'program files' folder, start BI, import the BI settings, restart BI.

Well, that's how I've done it. It can all be simplified by just the BI reg file. Having the Windows reg branchs lets you save a cameras overlay branch (as well as other areas), and add that reg branch to other cameras - Do you know how difficult it is to get all overlays exact for all cameras!!! Arrrg. Which they had am overlay copy function...

Anyway, it's just good policy to backup your configurations.

Shuki

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I installed the tool by bp2008 and took reg backup + BI complete export.

However, as time goes by now recent version has changed to 4.5.7.2.

I need to ask again, up to that version, any recommendation on most stable version ? I can always download any update version i need via the http link Ken provided.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've found the BU updates to be very stable.
Users typically find issues in an update with the types of cameras they are using, or specific circumstances of combination of settings.