Shielded or unshielded

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
im running a 75 foot cat5 or 6 in an underground pipe to a shop. I thought the pipe crossed over the power pipe in one place, but I just realized it runs parallel the whole distance. The pipe for the data is 1ft down and the power is 2 ft with 00 cable supplying the 200amp service in the house. Should I run shielded or non-shielded with the separation distance of the two pipes underground?

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Use outdoor rated cable, I personally would not worry about shielded, however if it makes you sleep better at night just do it if the $$ is not a issue. 75' of shielded cat 6 burial is not going to break the bank. leave a pull string. :highfive:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im running a 75 foot cat5 or 6 in an underground pipe to a shop. I thought the pipe crossed over the power pipe in one place, but I just realized it runs parallel the whole distance. The pipe for the data is 1ft down and the power is 2 ft with 00 cable supplying the 200amp service in the house. Should I run shielded or non-shielded with the separation distance of the two pipes underground?
Kurtis500, if I may ask...where do you live? (State, County or City). I ask because where I live (NW Alabama in the U.S.), severe lightning is a BIG problem. Properly terminated, shielded cable can help mitigate the destructive results of ESD damage to active electronic components on either end of the cable and some manufacturers make it a requirement in their warranty when installed outdoors. Of course, no shielded cable or even surge protection on all 4 pairs of the CAT-5e can help with a direct strike but it's like insurance....it won't prevent ALL issues but it could prevent ONE...if so, then it has paid for itself. I'd go with outdoor-rated, shielded CAT-5e at least.

And chris527's suggestion of pulling in a pull string with it is a GREAT idea. I'd use 1/8" braided polypropylene, not cotton or nylon-cotton blend, so as to resist rotting, as no underground conduit I know of is 100% waterproof.