Shipping Anaheim to Little Rock

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to have a Preterminated Fiber Optic cable shipped from Anaheim to Little Rock. Probably ~175 lbs.

The vendor gave me a shipping cost of $491. More than I'd like to spend.

Does anyone know of a better (less expensive) option to ship a spool of FO cable?

Falcon

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Strap it to a pallet, drop off at dock of LTL truck line's terminal (Yellow Freight, ABM, Overnite, etc.- check local Yellow Pages).
Stop by ahead and grab a couple of waybills, have one filled out completely, assume minimum insurance (ask value).
I did this 10 years ago to ship 4 pallets of daughter's stuff from San Jose, CA (Yellow Freight) to Birmingham, AL, each pallet was $75 as I recall...could have weighed 5 lbs. or 500, same charge. UPS wanted $750.
Just don't expect it to be there in less than a week and if you declare some value, price will go up very quickly.
I couldn't get loaded pallet in Ranger bed so I loaded empty pallet (on its side) and her stuff in heavy, well-taped boxes, took nylon strapping tool with buckles and clear plastic wrap, strapped boxes to pallets and 'cocooned' the pallets right there on their dock, they didn't care. They grabbed them with forklift later when they were ready.
I'd put TRIPLE heavy cardboard around reel to guard cable against fork damage....they're not as careful or as gentle as UPS.

Last edited:

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to have a Preterminated Fiber Optic cable shipped from Anaheim to Little Rock. Probably ~175 lbs.

The vendor gave me a shipping cost of $491. More than I'd like to spend.

Does anyone know of a better (less expensive) option to ship a spool of FO cable?

Falcon

Palletizing will be your best option for that weight. We are in Irvine and use Daylight Transportation for freight to ship our storage servers. Last time I checked they had the best pricing in our area.