Shipping Costs..HELP!!

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Long Story Short,
I have a expensive piece of test equipment in the UAE, United Arab, It prob weighs about 20 lbs or so, The Guy who has it says its about $2400 to ship DHL back to the states. I did check the site, I wonder if that was Their currency, or USD, either way seems really expensive to ship, Is this correct? Any alternatives? or advise on shipping overseas

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Shipping costs have gone up a lot in recent years but that sounds extraordinary. Must be either a currency difference or some expedited service and a bunch of other things like brokerage, tariffs, insurance, etc., included in that. I ship a lot of international packages but mine are all out-going so I don't know the in-coming side well. Here going out a lower-value 1-5 lb package can get into the $ hundreds that way plus some additional taxes on the destination end depending on where. I probably could get that it into the $ thousands with a high enough declared value and some fast, couriered service.

Call DHL and ask. The websites are a pain to use for that kind of thing unless you have a shipping account and exact addresses and all.

Don't Look Up

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dimensions also play a factor in costs as well as weight
Here's another factor, fragile items shipped truck freight can't have items stacked on top of it so the space above is not available. They then charge you for the space they cannot fill.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Shipping costs have gone up a lot in recent years but that sounds extraordinary. Must be either a currency difference or some expedited service and a bunch of other things like brokerage, tariffs, insurance, etc., included in that. I ship a lot of international packages but mine are all out-going so I don't know the in-coming side well. Here going out a lower-value 1-5 lb package can get into the $ hundreds that way plus some additional taxes on the destination end depending on where. I probably could get that it into the $ thousands with a high enough declared value and some fast, couriered service.

Call DHL and ask. The websites are a pain to use for that kind of thing unless you have a shipping account and exact addresses and all.
Thanks,

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You might want to consider alternatives like TNT Express and DTDC. They ship through passenger airline carriers (i.e. Delta airlines, Emirates, Etihad, etc) where they have space reserved these unique situations in the cargo bulkhead

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You might want to consider alternatives like TNT Express and DTDC. They ship through passenger airline carriers (i.e. Delta airlines, Emirates, Etihad, etc) where they have space reserved these unique situations in the cargo bulkhead
Thanks Arjun...TNT is now FedEx the other places I will have to look into when I get a chance. So I actually did a Calculation in USD for the package, Its still going to be around $800 us without any Insurance added,

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
"To ship a 12-metre container from Shanghai to Los Angeles 12 months ago would have cost less than $2,000. Now the price is closer to $14,000." Quoting a article from The National News.com <---whoever they are

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it not possible to pack it into a box? (aka box in a box)
I think if you're able to play around with the dimensions, the price should fall drastically

"To ship a 12-metre container from Shanghai to Los Angeles 12 months ago would have cost less than $2,000. Now the price is closer to $14,000." Quoting a article from The National News.com <---whoever they are