Short comparison of 4MP Hikvision & 2MP Dahua

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
For anyone new to IP cams who is considering buying one of those high MP cams, maybe this will help you decide. I've had a 4 MP Hikvision turret for almost 3 years and I was never really happy with the night vision although it looked great in daytime. I added external IR and spent hours tweaking settings. I ordered 2 IPC-HDW5231R-Z from @EMPIRETECANDY several months ago that I am very happy with so I ordered a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy and got the usual great, fast service. So here are short videos of the neighbor's cat passing through, both using the cam's IR and the external IR. Use 1080p for best viewing on Youtube.

4MP Hik

2MP Dahua

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not trying to defend Hikvision here but... comparing a 3-year-old camera of one manufacturer to a new camera from another is unfair. In particular, sensors used in 4MP cameras a few years ago are definitely worse than today's 4MP. For example, see our 2016 test here 4MP Low Light Weakness Tested 2016

We are in the middle of a new 4MP shootout and one thing we have clearly seen is low light is better than models from a few years ago. Since we have not finished, I can't confidently rank models yet but it's worth keeping the age / generation in mind when comparing manufacturers.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm curious how the newer Hiks look in comparison. Do their 2mp look better at night than their 4mp? It's good to hear they are improving, they can definitely use some positive press after the past year they have been through. I'm more interested in how higher mp looks in low light rather than specific brands. Anyway, you make a good point.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not trying to defend Hikvision here but... comparing a 3-year-old camera of one manufacturer to a new camera from another is unfair. In particular, sensors used in 4MP cameras a few years ago are definitely worse than today's 4MP. For example, see our 2016 test here 4MP Low Light Weakness Tested 2016

We are in the middle of a new 4MP shootout and one thing we have clearly seen is low light is better than models from a few years ago. Since we have not finished, I can't confidently rank models yet but it's worth keeping the age / generation in mind when comparing manufacturers.
The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE used in this test has the same sensor as its predecessor IPC-HDW5231R-Z that has been available since mid 2016, here is a November 2016 review. Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
What particular hiks are you testing? Hikvision is still selling the same model 4mp and 3mp as 3 years (or more) ago. To be fair they do have low light models at reasonable prices as well DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera