Shortest focal length thats not a fisheye...?

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to cover an area with an IPC-HDW5231R-Z, cam position is not the best and running cable to a different location is not an option. I have the cam zoomed out to 2.8mm but I could use a little more FOV. Any ideas short of going to a fisheye?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to cover an area with an IPC-HDW5231R-Z, cam position is not the best and running cable to a different location is not an option. I have the cam zoomed out to 2.8mm but I could use a little more FOV. Any ideas short of going to a fisheye?
Hi PatPend,

The 2.8mm mini-dome wedge I have is already showing some distortion at the edges, and I don't recall seeing a lot of options for lens which have a wider FOV.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have that problem too. Quality IP cameras come with lenses ranging from from 1 degree up to about 100 degrees horizontal and then there is nothing until 180 degrees.

That isn't to say there aren't a lot of cameras with 100-140 degree field of view, but every one I've seen is wifi garbage targeted at consumers who don't know RJ45 from RG9.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Come on guys, just join us in the fisheye darkside. Dewarping is pretty sweet.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not until I can get an affordable camera that does its own dewarping before H.264 encoding :)

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Dahua N68BR4V does its own dewarping before encoding, however it might not quality as affordable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If that is the same as Dahua IPC-EBW8600 (about $400) then it is still about twice as much as I'm willing to pay.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking at a DH-IPC-PDBW8800N-A180, looks like an awesome cam but crazy expensive.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on what you term fisheye. By fisheye, I'm assuming your wanting to avoid distortion, in which case it's not just the lenses focal length or whether it's a "fisheye", but whether it's rectilinear that matters.

eg. Here's a 280 degree fisheye lens (admittedly at $3.5K a very expensive board lens), but just look how straight the lines are when fitted to a gopro (the video is 360 - just pull the pic to rotate):

So personally I'd find out what focal length is going to suit your needs (maybe using the CCTV view calculator), then start searching for a lens with the correct screw thread that's also rectilinear (and preferably viewing some video example clips shot on it to ensure it's truly distortion free).

Also, be aware the wider you go, the less pixels per inch you have and so the lower the quality / recognition, not an issue if you have another camera capturing a zoomed in picture, but maybe an issue if the ultra wide lens is your only lens.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If that is the same as Dahua IPC-EBW8600 (about $400) then it is still about twice as much as I'm willing to pay.
I am trying to send a round fisheye image on the main stream as well as a sub stream that is de warped in the camera as a 4 cube view. This is supposed to be possible per the Dahua Specs. But i can't make it, how we do?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to send a round fisheye image on the main stream as well as a sub stream that is de warped in the camera as a 4 cube view. This is supposed to be possible per the Dahua Specs. But i can't make it, how we do?
I don't know. I would expect the dewarp options to be on the same page as the sub-stream encoder options. I don't have any 180° fisheye cameras so I don't know what might be different about their configuration.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know. I would expect the dewarp options to be on the same page as the sub-stream encoder options. I don't have any 180° fisheye cameras so I don't know what might be different about their configuration.
Thank you! I have a client booked this one.
PSD81602-A360 . I will show here later when I get it.super big one

Roman G

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you! I have a client booked this one.
PSD81602-A360 . I will show here later when I get it.super big one
What is the price for ot in USA?
What will be the purpose of it's use for the client?