Should BI identifying my cameras correctly?

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a few IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras but when I go to Find/Inspect, it sets it is:
Generic/ONVIP
RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4

Shouldn't it identify as a Dahua camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras but when I go to Find/Inspect, it sets it is:
Generic/ONVIP
RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4

Shouldn't it identify as a Dahua camera?
No, it is using the onvif profile

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, it is using the onvif profile
I left it and it wouldn't allow me to zoom in and out. I manually changed it to Dahua and Main Stream RTSP and it allowed me to zoom.
Do I need to manually set all of my cameras? Why wouldn't BI recognize the camera as a motorized lens with zooming capabilities.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I left it and it wouldn't allow me to zoom in and out. I manually changed it to Dahua and Main Stream RTSP and it allowed me to zoom.
Do I need to manually set all of my cameras? Why wouldn't BI recognize the camera as a motorized lens with zooming capabilities.
It will detect the varifocal capabilities. I just tested it. You need to ensure onvif is enabled in the camera firmware.
Most folks specifically dont want blue iris to control the varifocal as its a one time setting at setup and dont want to accidentally move the lens. Its not designed to zoom.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I left my HDW-5231R-ZE set at generic. Zoom works fine on BI4, also on the iPhone app as well.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why wouldn't BI recognize the camera as a motorized lens with zooming capabilities.
The little window that pops up in BI after it finds/inspects the camera might give you an idea.

The username/password you enter into BI before you click Find and Inspect needs to correspond to an ONVIF account on the camera.