Should I consider reinstall of Blue Iris?

Fester

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the worst time with my Blue Iris set up! I have a 4 tb surveillance drive in order and when I install that into my computer I am considering a total reinstall of Blue Iris.

I had Blue Iris set up for a Dahua POE camera and everything was working fine. I had the weather overlay from Blue Iris Tools working, it would email a still image and video when motion was detected as well as texting the same to my iPhone.

I was using a Nortel Baystack 5520-48T-PWR POE switch to power my Dahua camera. Admittedly I went a little overboard on the POE switch but got a good deal on it, but it came with no documentation and I know nothing about it, or networks in general (I have since purchased a Linksys LGS308P 8 port POE switch). I started having problems when my Dahua camera would keep restarting, it started to do it more and more and I just thought maybe it was the Nortel switch since I knew noting about it. Eventually the camera stopped working altogether, just stuck in a reboot loop. I made sure to purchase from a dealer in the U.S.A. and when I contacted them they wanted me to ship the camera back to China for repair, I asked if I would have to pay for the repair since the camera was not that old but never got an answer. So needless to say it is still sitting in my basement in the original box.

After that I decided to purchase 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD cameras and a Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi camera for a remote location on my property. I was able to easily install 1 Hikvision camera along with the Amcrest. Everything was running fine, was never able to get the other Hikvision working with Blue Iris.

Then things started going wrong... the weather overlay doesn't work (I think I eventually turned it off) It no longer sends images via email and text, it no longer tells me which camera detected motion when it emails and texts me. And last night the Amcrest stopped recording when motion is detected, I can walk out onto my deck and I receive no texts or emails. **Correction, while typing this post I actually got an alert of motion on my deck, so that's working again!

On Sunday I am receiving my new 4 tb surveillance drive and will install that, do you think it is wise to just go ahead and do a fresh install of Blue Iris while I am at it? Or try to work through all the setbacks that I've been experiencing lately? I would like to get this working with the Nortel Baystack eventually, but I guess I need to learn more about networks before tackling that.

BTW, my dedicated Blue Iris computer is a Lenovo K450e with i7 4790 (3.60GHz) 16GB RAM and a 2TB 7200 RPM hybrid drive, with 4TB surveillance drive to be installed on Sunday.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fester

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it takes two minuets to reinstall BI..
always best to run the OS and BI with the database file on an ssd for supper snappy performance.

Fester

n3wb
Reaction score
it takes two minuets to reinstall BI..
always best to run the OS and BI with the database file on an ssd for supper snappy performance.
Yes, I have an SSD drive but it's being utilized in another application at the moment.

I forgot to mention also, my Blue Iris no longer restarts itself when restarting the computer.... it used to and it just stopped!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an SSD drive but it's being utilized in another application at the moment.

I forgot to mention also, my Blue Iris no longer restarts itself when restarting the computer.... it used to and it just stopped!
thats got noting to do with BI...how was it restarting before? task scheduler or service? check your settings

Fester

n3wb
Reaction score
thats got noting to do with BI...how was it restarting before? task scheduler or service? check your settings
I honestly don't remember how it was originally set up, I'm not very skilled with PC's. But since it stopped running on start up I've run it as Administrator, as a service, I've used task scheduler, put it in start up items and Blue Iris never starts up after a restart.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember how it was originally set up, I'm not very skilled with PC's. But since it stopped running on start up I've run it as Administrator, as a service, I've used task scheduler, put it in start up items and Blue Iris never starts up after a restart.
There are several threads explaining how to do this..if you set it to run as a service it will boot with the machine, its running just not open to the console...