Should I get 2.8 mm or 3.6 mm for entry cams?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ordering a few HDBW4231F-AS cameras from Andy tonight. Should I go with 2.8 mm or 3.6 mm for entry doors? Thanks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That depends on what you want to achieve and/or where the cameras are mounted. What, exactly, do you want to achieve? An entry camera might even be 12mm for specific requirements. If I may suggest that you may want to get a Dahua Starlight var-focal for your entry camera. This will allow you to get the exact video you need and not make a mistake from the get-go.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @Q™, I'm getting the varifocal for covering the property at each corner of the house. The entry cams really are just for me to be able to capture people who come to the door for any reason.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Noob comment here. I took the advice regarding wide views, and ordered three varifocals plus four fixed 6mm to save some money. I have not wished for wider from the 6mm cams... and all the varifocals are zoomed in tighter than this FOV. I might miss a bit of the yard here or there, but there are better recognition possibilities at all the key areas which must be traversed if up to mischief.

The alternative is to wait until your varifocals turn up, then decide what to order for your fixed cams. If I had more time for installation before I went overseas, this is what I would have done.

Cheers, Steve

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks all! I've been testing a 3.6 from Andy and I think it gives me the FOV I need. Been reading that 2.8 makes ID tougher.

snookered

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras mounted. One at the Front Door entry under a very small covered doorway, and the other in the garage. 2.8 is pretty good. I have no issues capturing the image of anyone coming to the front door.

Attachments