Should I leverage this Dahua NVR?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have 4 Dahua IP cameras and a Dahua NVR (NVR4108 - 8P - 4kS2 2T)
I also have 5 Hikvision IP cameras to that I used to use with my computer + Blue Iris

I want to install some extra cameras and combine the some of the hikvisions and Dahua's

Option 1
is to not use the Dahua NVR and just hook it all up to my switch and use blue Iris on my PC ( although ill probably run out of POE Ports as the switch has 8 POE also need for my access point so really have 7 available for CCTV cameras)

Option 2
Ditch Blue Iris not use the PC for CCTV and hook 8 IP cameras to the Dahua NVR ( unsure if Dahua will accept Hikvision cameras)

Option 3
If possible. Use the NVR as POE CCTV camera switch just to get network and power and connect the NVR to the real switch and manage it through Blue-Iris through my PC

Unsure if option 3 is even possible or if the NVR will see other camera brands but what would be the most optimal way of doing this?

THe PC specs are
I5 - Quad core 3.0Ghz
12 GB of Ram
Plenty of HDD space on my NVR ( using that for storage)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info needed:
  1. Full model number of i5?
  2. Version of Windows?
  3. Is Windows and BI program to be on SSD or on same HDD as the BI video clips?
  4. Is HDD in the BI PC surveillance-rated, such as WD Purple ?
If possible and depending on answers to above, I'd run all cams on Blue Iris with POE switch(es), as BI is more powerful and flexible than any NVR and more user-friendly, IMO.
You can also most likely be able stream cams from NVR to BI if need be.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
More info needed:
  1. Full model number of i5?
  2. Version of Windows?
  3. Is Windows and BI program to be on SSD or on same HDD as the BI video clips?
  4. Is HDD in the BI PC surveillance-rated, such as WD Purple ?
If possible and depending on answers to above, I'd run all cams on Blue Iris with POE switch(es), as BI is more powerful and flexible than any NVR and more user-friendly, IMO.
You can also most likely be able stream cams from NVR to BI if need be.
  1. Full model number of i5? - i5-3570k 3.40Ghz
  2. Version of Windows? Windows 10 x64 (latest update 1909)
  3. Is Windows and BI program to be on SSD or on same HDD as the BI video clips? - BI on SSD and Video footage on Purple NAS drive
  4. Is HDD in the BI PC surveillance-rated, such as WD Purple ? - Western Digital Purple HDD on NAS
Thanks for the reply

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. Full model number of i5? - i5-3570k 3.40Ghz
  2. Version of Windows? Windows 10 x64 (latest update 1909)
  3. Is Windows and BI program to be on SSD or on same HDD as the BI video clips? - BI on SSD and Video footage on Purple NAS drive
  4. Is HDD in the BI PC surveillance-rated, such as WD Purple ? - Western Digital Purple HDD on NAS
Thanks for the reply
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Johnman ,

That's a decent hardware setup, I'd optimize it and use Blue Iris on that dedicated PC if it were me (option 1).
Insure BI's "db" folder is also on the SSD.
Thanks so I guess now the question is. Anyone know if its possible to use the Dahua NVR as a POE switch? if I use my own switch for all of it I am going to run out of ports (Option 3)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so I guess now the question is. Anyone know if its possible to use the Dahua NVR as a POE switch? if I use my own switch for all of it I am going to run out of ports (Option 3)
You should be able to or at least use RTSP from NVR set up on a per channel basis into BI....but I'd make it simpler plus address your plan to expand by getting a switch with 8 or more ports and forget the NVR.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should be able to or at least use RTSP from NVR set up on a per channel basis into BI....but I'd make it simpler plus address your plan to expand by getting a switch with 8 or more ports and forget the NVR.
Its got 16 ports but 8 regular 8 POE. Just trying to save cash

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like you only have a couple cameras more than poe ports. What about a couple of poe injectors?

..........Thinking about it, might not be much cheaper than another switch.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like you only have a couple cameras more than poe ports. What about a couple of poe injectors?

..........Thinking about it, might not be much cheaper than another switch.
Yeh you are right man

If I end up using all the cameras ill just get one of these: Pretty cheap ;

It will really be 7 ports though as one port will be used to the bigger switch or router

and trying to get power there will be a pain even with the one power injector that I already have haha