Should my switch be able to handle these cams?

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Zyxel GS1900-10HP POE switch. I bought it under the impression it would be able to handle 5 Dahua HDW5231-RZ. I finally got my fifth camera hooked up and noticed one of the others went down. So I checked the log in and saw this - Port GigabitEthernet8: Power was denied because of insufficient power, or administrative operation. Can anyone with experience tell me if I bought an underpowered switch or is there a setting that I'm overlooking?

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to Dahua website specs on HDW5231 power consumption should be <8.5 Watts. Switch specs state max PoE power budget is 77 Watts. So even at 8.5 Watts per camera that's only 42.5 Watts. What am I missing? :idk:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
According to Dahua website specs on HDW5231 power consumption should be <8.5 Watts. Switch specs state max PoE power budget is 77 Watts. So even at 8.5 Watts per camera that's only 42.5 Watts. What am I missing? :idk:
In the switch settings you need to change p o e mode from classification to consumption... By default that set the classification and therefore allocates 15.4 Watts for each device..

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the switch settings you need to change p o e mode from classification to consumption... By default that set the classification and therefore allocates 15.4 Watts for each device..
That did it! Thanks for the help, you responded quicker than Zyxel customer service in live chat.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a quick search and it looks like some switchspes allocate power based on what the cameras are reporting via LLDP. There is a setting in the switch where you can change the PoE mode to Consumption.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Default mode is Classification, this mode allocates a set amount of power to that device. Consumption will only provide power per how much the powered device needs.