Signs

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We have signs at the entrance and cul-de-sac of our neighborhood saying "Neighborhood Under Video Surveillance" right below the camera poles. Most druggie car thieves ignore them and/or can't read.

Maybe this?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After dealing with the public for 30 plus years, it's a fact, most people won't, can't, don't comprehend, or pay any attention to signs. :smash:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After dealing with the public for 30 plus years, it's a fact, most people won't, can't, don't comprehend, or pay any attention to signs. :smash:
Except "WET PAINT"...they see "TOUCH ME" :lmao:

They don't listen either. I had a recording on our city's street light repair hotline in which the first few words told them A) the City they had reached and B) that if the number on the pole had 1 or 2 numbers and then a letter then it belonged to the city of so and so and would give them that city's phone #. 90% of the time if it WAS another city's light they'd leave the info anyway and hang up, likely mumbling something like"...stupid, lazy city worker, etc."

At least I listen, I understand most of the time and three or more alphanumeric characters don't throw me into a mental tailspin. I also know what city I live in. :facepalm:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except "WET PAINT"...they see "TOUCH ME" :lmao:

They don't listen either. I had a recording on our city's street light repair hotline in which the first few words told them A) the City they had reached and B) that if the number on the pole had 1 or 2 numbers and then a letter then it belonged to the city of so and so and would give them that city's phone #. 90% of the time if it WAS another city's light they'd leave the info anyway and hang up, likely mumbling something like"...stupid, lazy city worker, etc."

At least I listen, I understand most of the time and three or more alphanumeric characters don't throw me into a mental tyailspin. I also know what city I live in. :facepalm:
Just wait, the current crop of first time job seekers will fix all of this. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At least I listen, I understand most of the time and three or more alphanumeric characters don't throw me into a mental tyailspin. I also know what city I live in.
Reporting issues with stop lights, streetlights, and the like can be a real mess.
-City boundaries are a mess with annexation that has occurred.
-Often the issue someone is trying to report is in an area they're a bit less familiar with (eg. not next to their house).
-Roads that follow city and county boundaries always sew some doubt as to who's problem it is.
-general debates over if it's the city's or county's problem, which vary from city to city.
-roads with old 'highway' designations in addition to a street name that none of the usual entities you call will accept responsibility for
-issues on actual highways
-inability to obtain pole number while driving

Typically they do a poor job of directing people to the right place to resolve the issue or explaining what is and isn't their problem on their website. For a while my electric company broke their reporting website so the reports were never actually created despite appearances to the user that they were.

In the best case scenario, they'll forward it on to the correct entity... but not often enough.