Simple program to record camera streams

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for a simple program to record h264 streams from hikvision/dahua to harddrive. Tried the web interface for this but its unreliable and on the hikvisons that feature is broken.

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used Blue Iris for this but when i export a recording thats hours long only the first 20min are exported.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can have BI record directly to MP4 files if you want (keeping in mind that they won't be usable unless/until they are properly finished writing).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would prefer to BI myself also. That being said, the free VLC will also record a RTSP stream and save as MP4, albeit maybe without as much configurability (is that a word?) as BI.

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you asked the BI developer about this issue?
No but now that i tried that again and removed the 2 pass option it worked :)

You can have BI record directly to MP4 files if you want (keeping in mind that they won't be usable unless/until they are properly finished writing).
Nice i had missed that, thanks!

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
I would prefer to BI myself also. That being said, the free VLC will also record a RTSP stream and save as MP4, albeit maybe without as much configurability (is that a word?) as BI.
The main reason to not use BI is that the computer i want to use to record is not my BI server so i would have to get another BI licence.

I have no idea i'm not a native english speaker ;) Yes VLC should do the trick. Just need to figure out the RTSP link adress then i guess.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you export from Blue Iris, it is best not to re-encode the video at all. It is much faster that way and you keep full quality. When you re-encode you lose some quality and you may even end up with a larger file size depending on the encoding settings!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The main reason to not use BI is that the computer i want to use to record is not my BI server so i would have to get another BI licence.

I have no idea i'm not a native english speaker ;) Yes VLC should do the trick. Just need to figure out the RTSP link adress then i guess.
You can buy a second license for 30 dollars. Email support.

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
When you export from Blue Iris, it is best not to re-encode the video at all. It is much faster that way and you keep full quality. When you re-encode you lose some quality and you may even end up with a larger file size depending on the encoding settings!
Yes I noticed that, hour of video exported in like 20sec ;)