Single ridge home corners installing ptz domes without screws!

stealthrt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all.

We just got new citing done on our home. While they were doing that and the roof I took the opportunity to install some cat5e cable (with poe) to each corner of the house in the attic. There are a total of 4 wires-one wire going to each corner of the house.

Now comes the hard part. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to go about installing my ptz dome cams when I can not use any screws?

Keep in mind that the sides of my home slope down and has no "flat" part (Single ridge- just making this more trouble).
1583202398664.png

Looking to read your clever ideas :)

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why do you want PTZ cameras?

And more importantly, why can't you use screws? I've used stainless steel screws to mount cameras so there won't be big rust streaks in a year.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all.

We just got new citing done on our home. While they were doing that and the roof I took the opportunity to install some cat5e cable (with poe) to each corner of the house in the attic. There are a total of 4 wires-one wire going to each corner of the house.

Now comes the hard part. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to go about installing my ptz dome cams when I can not use any screws?

Keep in mind that the sides of my home slope down and has no "flat" part (Single ridge- just making this more trouble).
View attachment 56625

Welcome @stealthrt

Oh man!, Wished you had stopped by here earlier... you really need to use a couple of cameras instead of one PTZ for best results. ( that is you ideally wanted at least 2 cat5e/6 cables to each corner.. and I always like to run one extra one, so N+1 = 3 )

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome @stealthrt

Oh man!, Wished you had stopped by here earlier... you really need to use a couple of cameras instead of one PTZ for best results. ( that is you ideally wanted at least 2 cat5e/6 cables to each corner.. and I always like to run one extra one, so N+1 = 3 )
Not exactly preferred but he could install a POE switch at each corner to give him more ports for a second or third camera on each corner. It would have to be in an enclosure, but it is doable if it has to be done.

stealthrt

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not know this forum was against all things ptz.

And again the wife wants no screws going into the citing.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @stealthrt

No, not against PTZ.. in fact many here have and like PTZ models, you can see it in the reviews.

The thing issue is that a PTZ is a challenge to have to cover 270 degrees... cheaper and more effective to have 2-3 non-ptz cameras cover the area

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Not exactly against them, but is the camera going to be looking at the right place when it needs to be?

Think of it this way, what if there are 2 people, now the camera has 2 people to track instead of one.

They do have their uses.

As for no holes, I'm quite confused on this. I have no idea how you're going to mount anything (let alone a PTZ camera) without screws...

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Magic?!?!

In all seriousness - PTZ's are heavy - you arn't going to secure anything up in the air without screws.....
I suppose he could run a ratchet strap around the whole building... we could call it a house belt, you know, to keep its cameras up! Lol

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@stealthrt, do you have soffits (eaves)? are they vented (tiny holes) ? I hang mine from the soffit/eaves, litterally. Three small holes for the screws and one hole for the cable, all invisible. I use these winged anchor screws. Most soffit pieces are small, you could open one up, push the screw through the camera and the hole, then tight the wing down above the soffit.

turret.jpg

anchor.jpg

Reaction score
If your sketch in your original post reflects the true construction of your home, then you have exposed rafter tails forming the eaves, and you should have wooden blocking at the ceiling line (where the interior ceiling joists meet the rafters pitching down to the exterior), then you should be able to form either some hangers or boxes on which to mount the cams...your cat5 should be right there, as routed by your contractor. No holes in the siding.

Reaction score
Get a 12ft 4x4 treated post and bury it 4 feet in the ground at each corner, mount the camera off the post about 8ft in the air should get it about 6ft height, no holes in your house (provided you can get the wire down to it in conduit, or possibly just run new wire out through the foundation.

Haven't done it myself but planning to mount a couple cameras this way so I dont have them mounted too high (eaves) and if I ever sell the house I wont have unsightly holes anywhere in the siding/walls.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

PTZ are great "extra" cams but not reliable as the primary cam for an area because they often miss things when they are PTZ'ing around whereas the stationary cams are always capturing.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all.

View attachment 56625

Is this vinyl siding that you had installed?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With something like that you may not have holes when installing, but what about later when you try to take them off? Usually, a heat gun will help under those circumstances. Personally if you have a lip on the outside and inside edge of the soffet and the soffet is the typical slide together type, I'd use aluminum strips, 1/8"x2" to span across those two lips and mount the cameras to the strips. No holes, just a small notch to get the CAT cable through from the attic. It can be a little work to get the soffet pieces out, but you only need to remove one piece.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious....why no screws in the siding? Is she concerned about appearance or that they could leak if not done properly?

And what exactly does "....the sides of my home slope down" mean?

I'm with @elliottwe , some photos would help tremendously....be sure to show underneath roof overhang (eaves), if any.