SLOW CONNECTION ACCESSING CAMERAS FROM WITHIN THE NETWORK????

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what could be causing a slow connection to an NVR from within the network on both wifi and via ethernet. I have ruled out double nat..

It is a hikvision system The NVR is ds-7616ni-e2/16p, 8 cameras are connected to the back of the NVR the other 7 cameras are connected to a switch with one cable running into one of the POE ports in the back of the NVR.

Couple questions:

1: Should the POE switch be connected to the back of the NVR or the local network router? or does it matter?
2: I noticed the NVR has a IP in the range of the local network ( something like 17.x.x.x.x ) but the cameras are using 198.x.x.x.x ips? Could this be the issue?

any suggestions??

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Rule of thumb, the only thing connected to a router should be a switch. Everything else should connect to the switch. The reason being that ISP routers have notoriously low bandwidth capabilities on their switch. Just using one port for the switch makes that full bandwidth available for internet access and WiFi devices.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Rule of thumb, the only thing connected to a router should be a switch. Everything else should connect to the switch. The reason being that ISP routers have notoriously low bandwidth capabilities on their switch. Just using one port for the witch makes that full bandwidth available for internet access and WiFi devices.
Thanks for the reply sebastiantombs. I am trying trying to follow that last part " Just using one port for the switch makes that full bandwidth available for internet access and WiFi devices" maybe my coffee just hasn't kicked in :D

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rufunky ,

Back in October you had some issues, as you recall ==>> NVR/ IP cameras- Setting up static ips and proper subnets

@sebastiantombs and @mikeynags worked on that with you....did you get that resolved?

It appears the last post from @mikeynags requested a network diagram to clarify and to further assist you.
Hey TonyR , I never saw that last message for some reason where he requested a layout. I did end up getting it squared away but I defaulted to my old way of setting everything to DHCP onsite and then making everything static. This issue is a occuring on another system all together. I still don't fully understand the network end as well as I'd like to...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the other 7 cameras are connected to a switch with one cable running into one of the POE ports in the back of the NVR.
That's a non-standard arrangement that Hikvision would says is 'unsupported' as it's not guaranteed what the result would be.
Those ports are 10/100Mbps so 7 cameras at say 8Mbps each is going to be on the edge of congestion.

My suggestion, that would avoid performance issues, assuming the PoE switch has enough ports, or there is another switch on the LAN with spare ports :
Connect the NVR LAN interface to the uplink port on the PoE switch that the 7 camera are connected to.
Connect the router to a port of that PoE switch.
Disconnect the PoE switch from any NVR PoE port.
Configure the 7 cameras on the PoE switch to have IP addresses valid for the LAN.
In the NVR web GUI, change the 7 channels that the 7 cameras need to be associated with to Manual instead of Plug&Play and configure the IP address setting to match the camera the channel needs to be associated with.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a non-standard arrangement that Hikvision would says is 'unsupported' as it's not guaranteed what the result would be.
Those ports are 10/100Mbps so 7 cameras at say 8Mbps each is going to be on the edge of congestion.

My suggestion, that would avoid performance issues, assuming the PoE switch has enough ports, or there is another switch on the LAN with spare ports :
Connect the NVR LAN interface to the uplink port on the PoE switch that the 7 camera are connected to.
Connect the router to a port of that PoE switch.
Disconnect the PoE switch from any NVR PoE port.
Configure the 7 cameras on the PoE switch to have IP addresses valid for the LAN.
In the NVR web GUI, change the 7 channels that the 7 cameras need to be associated with to Manual instead of Plug&Play and configure the IP address setting to match the camera the channel needs to be associated with.
Thank you alastairstevenson, I will give this a shot. I have to get another poe switch, I will report back with the results.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When I said "the one port" I meant one port on the router being used to feed the switch, or all switches, on the local network.