Slow internet (2 mbps) - Is a NVR a bad choice? Ubiquiti? Any options? Advise Please

slowtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I could really use some help if anyone would be kind enough. I need a system asap but I don't know what I should order.
My problem is I have slow DSL (2 mbps download, 1 mbps upload) but I would like to get motion alerts and be able to remote view from a cell phone since I live far pretty from town.
I live in the mountains on acreage and I could really benefit from some long runs of cable so I thought about buying a Dahua XVR so I could use both coax (long runs) and Ethernet cameras (short runs).
I would like a thermal camera or two for watching the elk at night and for trespassers / poachers and these only seem to be available for IP cameras. (XVR)

Here are my concerns:
Will I be able to remote view and get alerts with my crappy internet?
is there anything unreliable about an XVR or using both ethernet and coax? it seems that Power Over Coax hasn't had all the bugs worked out so I guess I would have to run a power wire with it for the long runs.
Is there another type of system that works with slow internet better? Someone mentioned Ubiquti saying that they have their own connection for remote areas but I can't find any info suggesting how this would work it seems like basic wireless is needed.

If I cant back up my stuff offsite using the internet I guess I am going to have to weld up a safe room in the barn to protect my NVR from getting stolen by a potential Thief (knock on wood). Is this my best and only option?
I am hoping to buy 16 camara system starting with 4 turrets, 1 ptr, 1 long distance bullet, 2 thermals, 1 XVR,DVR/NVR,

Any info and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I could get the ball rolling. Thank you

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it seems that Power Over Coax hasn't had all the bugs worked out so I guess I would have to run a power wire with it for the long runs.
Dahua has some ePoE models which are IP cameras that are capable of using coax for long runs... There's an adapter that goes on each end of the coax with this solution. I've seen a few posts from folks here saying it works well. You do need either one of their ePoE NVRs or ePoE network switches for that solution.

Will I be able to remote view and get alerts with my crappy internet?
I wouldn't imagine that getting alerts would be a problem. When I had a Dahua NVR, it did a decent job of sending a push notification to the Dahua app on my iPhone that included a JPEG snapshot from the camera that detected motion... that didn't seem to use much bandwidth.

When it comes to connecting back in and remote viewing over a slow Internet connection, most cameras have at least two streams that can be configured for different resolutions/FPS. Usually folks leave the main stream running at the camera's full resolution and set the NVR to record that stream, which means you can tweak the second stream to a lower resolution (that uses less bandwidth) and use that stream when you remote view.

What I'm not 100% on is how to review a recording remotely over a slow Internet connection. The recording would have been recorded at full resolution... not sure if the NVR has a feature that can resize it when playing back so that it uses less bandwidth.

Someone mentioned Ubiquti saying that they have their own connection for remote areas
Hmm, I'm wondering if they meant for getting a camera in a remote area connected back to the NVR? Unifi has some pretty cool (and inexpensive) "radios" that can extend a network wirelessly over a pretty good distance assuming there's a more-or-less clean line of sight between the two points. So if you had a main gate to your property (that had power) that's a few thousand feet from your NVR, you could install a camera there, plug it into a Unifi NanoStation, then a NanoStation on the building that has your NVR would complete that bridge and it would look like your gate camera was connected via ethernet or coax.

slowtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for responding you have cleared up some of my confusion (and created a little. haha). I am glad I can go from ethernet to coax so this is good I will get an epoe NVR and start running some cable asap. I'll research the remote viewing resolution of the second stream you mention and report back.