Small Form Factor (SFF) Optiplex ok?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All

Is a Small Form Factor (SFF) Dell Optiplex a good choice for BI? I assume it will fit a SSD and a WD purple?

Thanks!

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All

Is a Small Form Factor (SFF) Dell Optiplex a good choice for BI? I assume it will fit a SSD and a WD purple?

Thanks!
Yes, I have a Optiplex SFF for BI server. SSD (for OS) is located in DVD slot. WD purple for recordings

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I have a Optiplex SFF for BI server. SSD (for OS) is located in DVD slot. WD purple for recordings
This is exactly my setup. Works great.
You'll need an adapter to mount an SSD in the optical tray. I got mine on eBay for maybe $7.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a good pc, things can get a little tight if you want to add drives at some point.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what I use also. There is a thread on here (I searched but couldn't find it again) That I followed that has you take out the dual 2.5" HD chassis and original HD, replace it with a 3.5 chassis for the Purple WD Drive and then get a SSD to install the OS on and about a 1.5' long esata cable and velcro it to the side of the inside case. This allows you to keep the DVD drive and everything looking nice.

If you're not in a hurry you can find some smoking deals in the dell outlet. You just need to check it often, they get snatched up quickly.

adrianrog

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone using an Optiplex 7010 SFF? I picked up one for free and intend on using an SSD for OS and WD Purple for the storage. Blue Iris is the top contender for software at this point. 8gb of ram, i7. How many cameras can I reasonabley support?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone using an Optiplex 7010 SFF? I picked up one for free and intend on using an SSD for OS and WD Purple for the storage. Blue Iris is the top contender for software at this point. 8gb of ram, i7. How many cameras can I reasonabley support?
the number of cameras is irrelevant...its the megapixel count and fps...see wiki