small grocery store setup

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here. I've been reading up around this forum and need some advice. I have a small grocery store with CNB Analog cameras, our DVR went out and would like to upgrade to something better. I'm in need of some recommendations for a proper IP camera setup. What all would I need hardware wise to be able to record locally. NVR, PC or a NAS? Also what are some recommended cameras to use around the check-out area and exterior of the store. Thanks in advance and glad to have found a great forum.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have the option of a standard NVR, or run a PC based system using Blue Iris software. For cameras, you want turret domes so that someone cannot tamper with them.A lot of us have been using the Hikvision 2332 turret dome camera. You can get this camera in 2.8 or 4mm. It would help us if you could post pics of the inside of your store so that we can get a better idea of your store layout.

Reaction score
Wow that was a fast reply. Where would you recommend buying them from? The store has 12'-13' ceilings at the check-out area and I forgot to mention that I would like to be able to capture audio in that area since we do wire transfers. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and of current camera locations. Thanks so much for the great help.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are three main suppliers stateside. Nelly's Security, Wrighwood Survellience, and member milkisbad who represents LTS. I purchase all of my gear from milkisbad. Me owing my own company, it's in my best interest to get the best support, price point and warranty. Do you have drop ceilings?

Reaction score
Since price point is being considered would you recommend buying from "china" or just buy in the US from nelly's or LTS for the warranty and support. Yes we have 2x4 ceiling tiles throughout.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want support and warranty go with a state side dealer

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the inside/outside of my store so that I can get some opinion for camera types. I'll have to make 2 posts since I have 12 pics. Again thanks to all the great member for the input.

Attachments

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due to the height of your store/building you are going to want to use the Hikvision 2332 turret cameras as if you used bullet cameras that can be easily turn by a vandal where the turret camera would be a little harder to turn. For the area you want audio you are going to want the DS-2CD2532F-IS - s has audio - has check with local laws to ensure you can record audio without all parties knowing, in the state I am in it is illegal to record audio and have it hold up in court.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like Spyfly stated, go with the 2332 turret cams. If I where installing, I would mount them on the columns and walls instead of the drop ceiling tiles. Reason being is that cameras mounted a little lower but still out of reach will have a better facial view of customers instead of being that high up getting more top head view.

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. In the first post the 4th picture is where I would like to place a camera that would be used for people coming in and facial captures but during the morning/afternoon we have the sun shinning at the door so we get a shadow of the person. For the microphone would a louroe work better since we usually have the music at a pretty good loud level. What mm lens should I go with on the 2332s inside? Could I also use them for exterior or go with the 2232 for the front exterior of the store. Would I be better with a 32ch Hikvision NVR or a business class desktop with the much mentioned BlueIris software? Sorry for so many questions but I really appreciate the answers I've been receiving.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
WDR is the feature on the camera that will help you with viewing when the sun is shining in...some cameras are better than others at this.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those analog views are horrible. You will definitely get alot better picture with the 3mp ip cams. After you close at night, do you have a night light circuit so that there are still some ceiling lights on? If so you can with all 3MP ip cams and they wont suffer at night. As far as lense selection, you can order one of each lense size to test then order what you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can use the 2332 cams inside and out.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For your store I would go with a business class machine secured in an area that thieves could not get to it and have the recordings also save to a separate hard drive just in case and run Blue Iris. You just need to know how many cameras you are going to run and get a poe switch to match.

Reaction score
WOW dint expect this much help from this forum. Yes we leave some lights on at night since the current cameras don't have IR. Located in Nacogdoches, TX. Could I run 20-24 3mp cameras on a Hikvision 32ch NVR or would the desktop be the best route? I would probably be running a 48 port POE+ switch since some of my access points require it. I'll start looking into LTS for prices, do you guys recommend their Cat6 cable or stick with CCI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You may have a hard time running 24x3mp on blue iris without a very fast and expensive machine...you might be better off with a 64ch NVR or using hikvisions vms that uses the in camera motion detection.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
another issue with with 20 to 24 3 MP cameras is you have the chance of overloading a 100Mbps uplink so you have to make sure that either you NVR or Blue Iris box is using 1Gbps uplinks to the switch that your cameras are connected too.

if you feel that you would rather run a NVR you are for sure going to have to setup to the 7700 Series from Hikvision 1 for bandwidth requirements 2 to make sure you have disk space to make sure you can keep your recordings for a good period of time.

Reaction score
What would be some of the minimum specs required for running the BI software without a problem, should I go with WD Purple hard drives for the recording?