Smart doorbells

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you guys use a seperate network for your IoT gadgets? I run all my smarthome stuff off of a different router than my personal home network. I dont trust the cloud based stuff, but its so nice to have.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you guys use a seperate network for your IoT gadgets? I run all my smarthome stuff off of a different router than my personal home network. I dont trust the cloud based stuff, but its so nice to have.
I have a separate IoT VLAN that can't access the rest of my network. I haven't gone to the level of restricting internet access on that network yet but I should look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raisy

n3wb
Reaction score
I do the same

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Seperate IoT VLAN that has no access to the rest of the network, but does have internet that is speed limited (Because why not). This is needed for things like my Ring Doorbell, and my thermostat etc

Then I have a "CCTV" VLAN that is SUPER DUPER locked down. No client to client communication, no internet, no access to any other network and sticky MAC. Probably a bit overkill, but I'll be proved right if anyone ever tries to gain access to the network via an external cable!

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only smart device I have is a Trane Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat and it is on my only router and network. It uses a Nexia service at no charge. I was unaware this was an exposure. The internet features it has are not that appealing to me and it would not be worth another network. The interface is notoriously non intuitive but I think I will explore if I can somehow stop it from connecting to the network but still function as my thermostat.