Smart PSS - Can you recommend a good compatiable Wireless Camera?

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I need a good wireless indoor camera to work with my existing Smart PSS setup.

Looking for nice quality. It would be good if I can use PTZ but not necessary.

What can you recommend?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello I need a good wireless indoor camera to work with my existing Smart PSS setup.

Looking for nice quality. It would be good if I can use PTZ but not necessary.

What can you recommend?

Thanks.
any camera can be made wireless via a wifi bridge...that said, wire it up for trouble free operation..

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Not looking to do anything special. Just a decent reliable wireless camera to add to a utlity positon for my smart pss setup. I tried getting Lorex's wireless camera to work and it didn't. Cloud only.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not looking to do anything special. Just a decent reliable wireless camera to add to a utlity positon for my smart pss setup. I tried getting Lorex's wireless camera to work and it didn't. Cloud only.
A reliable wireless camera does not exist...buy the camera that produces the best image..then if you insist on wireless, make it wifi, but add sd card for backup..

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is I want to make sure it's compatible with smart pss. I understand the challenges with wireless.

I can't find a compatibility list.

This camera is in a non important area and is acting in a utility capacity. It doesn't need recording. I want to monitor hvac status indicators.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is I want to make sure it's compatible with smart pss. I understand the challenges with wireless.

This camera is in a non important area and is acting in a utility capacity. It doesn't need recording. I want to monitor hvac status indicators.
any dahua or dahua rebranded camera will work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Fenderman said that any rebranded Dahua will work with Smart PSS. I have a Amcrest IPM-721S (indoor, Pan/Tilt, wireless, 720P) and an Amcrest IP2M-842w (outdoor, wireless, 1080P). Both are rebranded Dahua and have served me well (the 721, 2-1/2 years; the 842 about 1 year).
I use Blue Iris 4 but just to test I downloaded & installed Smart PSS a few minutes ago. Both of these specific Amcrest cams are discovered, added and displayed with Smart PSS (v1.16.1). Even the pan, tilt & digital zoom work on the IPM-721S indoor cam.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect thanks guys! I ordered the indoor one. Thank you for taking the time to test it!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect thanks guys! I ordered the indoor one. Thank you for taking the time to test it!!
there is a 1080 version for a few bux more in case you want to move it later...
are you streaming you cameras direct to pss or to an NVR first?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're welcome. BTW, in case you're interested, you can stream directly to VLC media player from the IPM-721 with this URL:

rtsp://camerausername:camerapassword@cameraipaddress/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

Jimerb

n3wb
Reaction score
there is a 1080 version for a few bux more in case you want to move it later...
are you streaming you cameras direct to pss or to an NVR first?
I have an NVR but for this one i just need live streaming. It's not being used for security just to make sure my boiler didn't misfire and other things in the HVAC distribution area. Thanks for the info on the 1080 version. I will check that one out too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an NVR but for this one i just need live streaming. It's not being used for security just to make sure my boiler didn't misfire and other things in the HVAC distribution area. Thanks for the info on the 1080 version. I will check that one out too.
If you steam to nvr you can use any brand