smart watches

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone using smart watches with their security/home automation? I was thinking on the way home how it would be nice to have a smart watch that vibrates when my system arms/disarms, or other things I want to know about regardless of if I am blasting the stereo in the car or not.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone using smart watches with their security/home automation? I was thinking on the way home how it would be nice to have a smart watch that vibrates when my system arms/disarms, or other things I want to know about regardless of if I am blasting the stereo in the car or not.
I use to do this with the Moto 360 I had the first and second gen. The first one died after a year,so I got the second gen and it got stolen prob after 8 months of having it. It's a cool idea but I think smart watches are starting to fade away. Just don't know if it's worth the 300.00 dollar price tag, no one wants to wear a shitty looking watch so you know the market price is 200 to 300 . I have been looking at the s3 watch

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I use to do this with the Moto 360 I had the first and second gen. The first one died after a year,so I got the second gen and it got stolen prob after 8 months of having it. It's a cool idea but I think smart watches are starting to fade away. Just don't know if it's worth the 300.00 dollar price tag, no one wants to wear a shitty looking watch so you know the market price is 200 to 300 . I have been looking at the s3 watch
for my purpose it really wouldn't even need to be a watch, just something that will vibrate when certain things happen would be fine lol.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for my purpose it really wouldn't even need to be a watch, just something that will vibrate
There are probably plenty of vibrators that would satisfy your needs though your cell phone would be simplest. Maybe you should search for "remote controlled vibrator"...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my wife has a fitbit blaze and I have automation sms her iphone that shows up on the watch for notifications..

when they invent a nuclear powered smart watch that I can wear my entire life w/out plugging in and charging up, I'll buy into em.. otherwise seems like a downgrade from what we've had for at least the last 100 years.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
my wife has a fitbit blaze and I have automation sms her iphone that shows up on the watch for notifications..

when they invent a nuclear powered smart watch that I can wear my entire life w/out plugging in and charging up, I'll buy into em.. otherwise seems like a downgrade from what we've had for at least the last 100 years.
Perhaps a wireless charging one would suffice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hows that work? induce electricity out of an electric blanket? or do I need a wireless wrist

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
to each there own, but that dont sound very smart to me.. a self winding watch never needs taken off, and a digital one can go a decade off a lil battery.. My wife has tossed several fitness/smart watches over the last several years because the band broke, they make em disposable and unserviceable.

I'd rather have a tool designed for the job that does it well.. instead of a tool designed to do many jobs pretty poorly, except for spying on me and giving my data to 3rd parties.. SmartWatches do that like thats what they were designed for, oh wait.

My wife needs a special cable for her iPhone, a special cable for her watch, and a special cable for her old IPad.. whereas I dont need anything because all my devices are MicroUSB and I have a couple of them in each vehicle and keep getting more cables than I can find uses for.. When we go on a trip her purse is inside is a knotted mess of wires heh

if I cant remember to plug in my eCig battery every night, and thats something I have a physical dependency on.. a smartwatch would be a dead waterdamaged wrist brick in pretty short order.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
to each there own, but that dont sound very smart to me.. a self winding watch never needs taken off, and a digital one can go a decade off a lil battery.. My wife has tossed several fitness/smart watches over the last several years because the band broke, they make em disposable and unserviceable.

I'd rather have a tool designed for the job that does it well.. instead of a tool designed to do many jobs pretty poorly, except for spying on me and giving my data to 3rd parties.. SmartWatches do that like thats what they were designed for, oh wait.

My wife needs a special cable for her iPhone, a special cable for her watch, and a special cable for her old IPad.. whereas I dont need anything because all my devices are MicroUSB and I have a couple of them in each vehicle and keep getting more cables than I can find uses for.. When we go on a trip her purse is inside is a knotted mess of wires heh

if I cant remember to plug in my eCig battery every night, and thats something I have a physical dependency on.. a smartwatch would be a dead waterdamaged wrist brick in pretty short order.
Preaching to the choir brother, I am Android/nix everywhere but my BI machine, perhaps I can find a really good tool for the job.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My ELK alarm system (and most of my Insteon devices <automated by an ISY994i>) all appear in HomeKit via running HomeBridge on a Raspberry PI.

I can toggle on/off instant notifications on my iOS devices (including my Apple Watch) for all of those devices, as well as arm/disarm the security system, and open/close the garage door.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll probably get boo'ed for this, but my ELK alarm system (and most of my Insteon sensors) all appear in HomeKit via running HomeBridge on a Raspberry PI.

I can toggle on/off instant notifications on my iOS devices (including my Apple Watch) for all of those devices, as well as arm/disarm the security system, and open/close the garage door.
So can I, but if I'm driving and my phone is on the cup holder which I do often and the stereo is blasting, I don't hear shit, hence wanting something on my wrist that vibrates, but only for important stuff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mebe you can have tasker detect its connected to your car and have it play a pre-recorded audio file out your speakers when triggered? 'Security Alert, Front door!' or something.

you can also put in a RFID token in your cup holder and setup different behavior when phone is in there; like dont lock screen so you can read any alerts that popup?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Closest thing to a 'smart watch' I've ever owned: eZ430-Chronos-915 - TI store
literally program your own watch :)

I broke it a while ago and it's a bit on the chunky side, but this was my 'smart watch' years before the apple watch came out.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't hear shit, hence wanting something on my wrist that vibrates, but only for important stuff.
I'm with you in the "I can't hear shit" department. I drive a 4-door Wrangler on 37s (loud as eff), and usually have the doors/top off for 1/2 the year.

Having the Apple Watch vibrate whenever I get a notification on my phone has been great. Except yesterday. I set my ELK alarm up with a new monitoring company, and I had to trigger multiple alarms to verify they were receiving them OK. On the first test, when my wrist buzzed at the same time the siren went off, I about jumped out of my shoes. Muted my watch for the next few tests. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm with you in the "I can't hear shit" department. I drive a 4-door Wrangler on 37s (loud as eff), and usually have the doors/top off for 1/2 the year.

Having the Apple Watch vibrate whenever I get a notification on my phone has been great. Except yesterday. I set my ELK alarm up with a new monitoring company, and I had to trigger multiple alarms to verify they were receiving them OK. On the first test, when my wrist buzzed at the same time the siren went off, I about jumped out of my shoes. Muted my watch for the next few tests. :)
Ha Haaaaa, yeah I'm still looking into maybe getting a monitoring company, who do you use?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ha Haaaaa, yeah I'm still looking into maybe getting a monitoring company, who do you use?
I'm trying Alarm Relay. It's 8.95/mo for telephone and/or IP reporting, at least w/ ELK's. No "contract", but they do bill a year up-front.