SmartPSS stuttering image

DionV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My setup is 2IP cams and NVR from Dahua.
When I display my cameras on the DMSS app it works like a charm. Without any lag on HD quality.
When i display the cameras on SmartPSS is has a bit of lag. On the main stream it is very noticible, on the sub stream not that much.

My camera config:
1611419705411.png

I used this tool for the bitrate reference:

i also attachted a mp4 file with a sample.
SmartPSS version: V2.0030000004.0
Is this a bug of SmartPSS or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
At only 2048 bitrate for the main stream i have to think its more likely your computer or connection. I see that when my connection isnt so great or when my laptop is pegging memory

I can easily stream 20 cameras running 1024 substream or 2 cameras running 8192 main stream on an older Windows 7 laptop

V2.002.0000008.2
smartpssview-3.jpg

And 25 cameras 1024 substream on a windows 10 machine
V2.003.0000001.0
smartpss25.jpg

DionV

n3wb
Reaction score
At only 2048 bitrate for the main stream i have to think its more likely your computer or connection. I see that when my connection isnt so great or when my laptop is pegging memory

I can easily stream 20 cameras running 1024 substream or 2 cameras running 8192 main stream on an older Windows 7 laptop

V2.002.0000008.2
View attachment 80322

And 25 cameras 1024 substream on a windows 10 machine
V2.003.0000001.0
View attachment 80324

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
At my su stream it is not very noticible. I also tried on few other computers and these have the same result.
Also I tried different NVR's. Maybe it is the P2P connection form Dahua. I will try direct IP.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Various versions of SmartPSS have various flaws. Maybe see if you can find another version,

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
At my su stream it is not very noticible. I also tried on few other computers and these have the same result.
Also I tried different NVR's. Maybe it is the P2P connection form Dahua. I will try direct IP.
The p2p is probably the cause. I assume, @bigredfish isn't using p2p. And you shouldn't either, it's a security risk.

vidwiz

n3wb
Reaction score
fwiw sometimes when i pan my cam in smartpss it is smooth, most of the time it's not. havent figured that one out yet, i use the max bitrate.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume, @bigredfish isn't using p2p. And you shouldn't either, it's a security risk.
I have a few questions in case somebody knows the answers:

1. Is P2P a security risk to your network, or only that somebody else can view your videos?

2. If an overall network risk, can any of your network be directly accessed, or only via a bug or backdoor in the camera or NVR?

3. If network access is through a camera or NVR bug/backdoor, does one or the other pose a greater risk?

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve also had this problem for greater than a year now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The stuttering of SmartPSS is almost always an issue with a through put contstraint, either the network connection, or a piece of equipment like the computer itself, or plain old bandwidth.

JWH

n3wb
Reaction score
I wrote to Dahua in February to complain about problems with SmartPSS, and to ask: "I see that there is DSS Express available. Is this better, or more stable, or a replacement for SmartPSS?"

The reply was: "Yes, DSS express is the new up to date software. For basic functions it is free and you can download it from our wiki page, linked below."

Dahua Wiki

I have not tried DSS Express yet, so I have no idea how good or stable it is, or how its features compare to SmartPSS.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dss express is not better if you only want to view your own cameras. It consists of q server and a client software and need more juice from the PC.

Are you in the same Lan/Wlan as your NVR when you're having the stuttering/lagging or are you remote?

You can try to enable (or disable if it's enabled) hardware acceleration. On my laptop with an I7 there's a huge performance increase With HA enabled.

If have been running all of the SmartPSS versions since at least 2-3 years and have not experienced any problems.
I usually run mainstream @ 4-6Mbit and with HA active I can run 8-10 cameras in main without bigger problems. With HA off my laptop is complaining already when 2 main streams are running.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
The stuttering of SmartPSS is almost always an issue with a through put contstraint, either the network connection, or a piece of equipment like the computer itself, or plain old bandwidth.
The problem doesn’t occur on DMSS, either over P2P or LAN, so it doesn’t appear to be network related. I will try the hardware acceleration option and report back.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m having a similar issue since moving my base of operations, I usually view 20-25 cameras much of the day from 4 different NVRs 3 of which are remote. Now one of them stutters and grinds to a halt in a matter of minutes if I try and view one of those cameras in full resolution.

I’ve tracked it down to a router/VPN throughput issue on one of the remote NVRs that was previously on the local network.

vidwiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Dss express is not better if you only want to view your own cameras. It consists of q server and a client software and need more juice from the PC.

Are you in the same Lan/Wlan as your NVR when you're having the stuttering/lagging or are you remote?

You can try to enable (or disable if it's enabled) hardware acceleration. On my laptop with an I7 there's a huge performance increase With HA enabled.

If have been running all of the SmartPSS versions since at least 2-3 years and have not experienced any problems.
I usually run mainstream @ 4-6Mbit and with HA active I can run 8-10 cameras in main without bigger problems. With HA off my laptop is complaining already when 2 main streams are running.
Are you referring to ha in pss? If so, where is the option, I couldn't find it.

vidwiz

n3wb
Reaction score
Well by golly that totally helped my frame rates, thanks! Now, if only my expensive camera would focus correctly... ;(

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a problem of poor quality of POE switch or HUB switch.
If the IPCAM is directly connected to the POE NVR, there will be no such problem.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a problem of poor quality of POE switch or HUB switch.
If the IPCAM is directly connected to the POE NVR, there will be no such problem.
Happens with analog cameras too.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
Changing the video decoding in SmartPSS doesn't solve the issue. For some reason the bitrate jumps up to 15-20k then back down even though it's set at 2048 in the XVR.